Random post

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Random post

Post by airsix »

Subject reads "ramdon post" because I don't know exactly what is going to come out of this. I've been thinking about Jake and want a story to read. Paul did a pretty good job with his post on UTDI about a day of work in the pool. But I read that and now I'm kind of looking for more and I don't know what it is so I'm just going to write...

After Lynne mentioned meeting Doc Intrepid at the expo I sent him a PM and we met for lunch today. We've lived a 10 minute drive from each other off-and-on for years but we'd never met in person. So we met for lunch and ended up talking for a couple of hours. That was cool. It's going to be fun diving with him. He's done a lot of East-coast wreck diving when he was over there for work and is interested in PNW wrecks now that he's back. He should be joining the forum soon, so keep an eye out for him and give him the good welcome I know you will. We'll be hitting the river quite a bit over the summer, keeping tuned up for our Puget Sound excursions. Together with Loretta I'll finally have a full 3-diver team here at home. :dj:

The DIY thing is getting out of hand. I'm putting pockets on my fushion now. Not a tech-skin neoprene one. Just the plain old spandex one. It's actually working really well but I'm not much of a seamstress. I've been sitting on the couch with needle and thimble for the past few nights. My eyes are pretty good, but it takes a lot of light to see black nylon thread on black nylon fabric! I'm half of a pocket away from being done attaching the pockets and just have to do the velcro part to secure them to the dry-core so they don't sag. Oh, then there's the DIY overboard discharge valve project 1/2 finished, and some knives that are 1/2 finished, and a new light project... It's an illness I need to get under control. I don't know if I've ever had so many simultaneous projects going (that's just the diving-related ones!). No new projects until the current pipeline is purged.

Whoah! I'm watching a documentary while I'm writing and they just said that polybrominated diphenyl ether levels measured in harbor seal biopsies are doubling every 3.5 years (all the biopies are done on pups so as to avoid the affects of long-term accumulation). PBDEs have similar polution impact as PCBs. That's scary. And depressing.

That's probably enough randomness from me for now. Feel free to add your own random posts to this thread.

Later,
Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Random post

Post by Penopolypants »

Awesome, Ben! I feel so unproductive. :) I have the tech skin with pockets, and I have to say that the pockets are not my favorite. Too hard to get stuff in and out of them.

My own randomness - I'm in Dallas for work, and I made the trip to Scubatoys on Thursday. I was wandering around a veritable warehouse of scuba gear and couldn't think of anything I just had to buy. It was weird.

I also have a nasty cold, which is NOT the swine flu! But every time I cough or sneeze in public people look at me sideways. I can't really blame them, but it's disconcerting nonetheless.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

My random post: I'm feeling rather horribly left out, after a month of being beached after smashing my face. It's made me realize what a big part of my social interactions revolves around diving. I even had an impromptu party last weekend, to get some of my diving friends together, because I missed them. I've boat tended, gone to the Mukilteo City Council meeting, and the Scuba show, just to remain at least peripherally involved. And I'm feeling very sorry for myself at the moment, because I'm working night shift (and it was BUSY) and my husband is spending the whole weekend . . . DIVING!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

airsix wrote: .....all the biopies are done on pups so as to avoid the affects of long-term accumulation...
Well, yeah...they're never gonna survive if they keep killing all the little ones to test for the PDE's!
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I'm up,. heading out to the Dive Rite Tech thingy.

Didn't sleep well last night, so i'm a bit tired, and I'm trying to remember everything...

Regs are still being serviced, so I'm renting a set. It doesn't have a drysuit whip, so i need to make sure I get mine attached before we leave the shop this morning.

Had to repair my drysuit a little bit yesterday, so I have to remember to pull it on from the outside, not up from the inside from now on so I don't mess it up again.

Is it going to rain? it looks cloudy, but it feels comfortable. Today should be a good day one hopes.

Boys made smores last night in the back yard, and left the door open, so the house smells like smoke. It reminds me of summer camp, in the cabins. that hint of smoked wood on wood in a semi-cool environment. That's pretty awesome.

The past two dives I'd been to cove two on, I've made it a point to write "Big Fame 1" on a piece of Fiberglass just to let him know I was there hanging around. He was a funny mofo.

Oh yeah.. hopefully viz is worth a crap so I can get some pics and/or video for my boy's narrow bridge project...

I'm hungry. Time to load my gear and get coffee....

Drysuit hose... Remember to install it at the shop...

Good morning everyone,
D(B)
Last edited by defied on Sat May 02, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

I've not been in the water in a couple weeks, work is stressful, had an absolute BLAST at the Expo last weekend. Lots of miscellaneous chores I should be doing, but instead I'm typing here and choosing to look away from the incredible pigstye that is currently my home. Sipping on a hazelnut coffee drink and enjoying NOT having to wake to an alarm today.... and my first Saturday in 6-7 weeks that has no obligations. I should dive, or at least go down to Les D and check out the Dive Rite demo thing.... or do some homework.... or laundry.... bills.....or maybe I'll take a nap...

sigh.....I hate indecision....
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Trying to get my daughter accustomed to her new dry suit, first one she's had. We went to Cove 3 yesterday but she didn't have enough weight and we wore ourselves out trying to sort it all out. Gonna load her up with as much lead as we can today and go from there, but gotta get over to Alki before about 2 'cuz I'm supposed to give that Dive Alert thing to Sounder there. That means waking the kid up, which always takes a while...this is gonna require lots more coffee..............the wife hurt her knee again on the way home from last night's night shift, thanks to an idiot bus driver who must have been mad at something and was taking it out on the pedals...hope she's okay...trying to figure out the best place to get my O2 tank hydro'ed and O2 cleaned, not having much luck............wonder why the printer isn't working again............gotta change the cat box today, but that's too much like work and besides, it stinks to high heaven............

COFFEE! NOW!!!!!!!!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Ummmm.... I woke up early to go over my R3 materials before the baby woke up. Then he woke up early anyway. Now it's time to make delicious beer....
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

mz53480 wrote:Well, yeah...they're never gonna survive if they keep killing all the little ones to test for the PDE's!
Not to worry. The test is not very invasive. They snatch up a pup, shave a 1 inch square of fur to expose the skin, and remove a piece of flesh about the size of a grain of rice and the pup goes back in the water within a few minutes.
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

airsix wrote:
mz53480 wrote:Well, yeah...
Not to worry....
:bounce:
Glad you got to get together w/ Doc-I! Give a shout if you're coming over here to dive Sund Rock or Octo hole anytime.
MZ
:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Woke up slow this morning. Watched the Daily Show at 8 and 8:30, made coffee. Supposed to go finish moving today. Hannah ran a load of laundry, and the :angry: washer leaked all over the laundry room. Went online to look up this Maytag Neptune POS, and it turns out there was a recall and a list of customer complaints about them a mile long. Think my landlord pulled a fast one...
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

i like pear jelly beans
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Thanks, MZ.

You've got my sympathy on the washer, Scott. BTDT. Speaking of randomness, I met your co-worker Chris P. the other day. He was visiting his parents and his Dad and him stopped by. We're friends with his folks (they live just around the corner).

Kat, I am not familiar with pear jelly beans. Do they taste like pears, or are shaped like pears, or both. I'd be interested if they taste like pears. I'm pretty apathetic regarding shape.

I'm tired. Took the girls to Home Depot for the kids clinic & to pick up some stuff, then spent the rest of the day until 3:00 pruning the last of the trees and breaking down/loading-up an old gazebo that must have weighted 1,500lb. Ugh. Progress feels good but I'm ready for a nap.

-Ben
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Hmmm...

Yeah, I've been thinking about BigFameOne too. I miss him. We're spreading his remains at the HoneyBear on July 1st, his birthday. His dad and I have been in regular contact - he's a neat man. The AED project has stalled a bit with the City - this week's objective is to get it back to top-of-mind so we can continue moving forward.

I just got home from Rescue class with others (whom I'm sure will post about their class). I'm hanging up gear and enjoying a Mac & Jack's from the tap in my garage (I'm in heaven - I have the heavenly brew on tap right here!)... Which I need to post pictures of before Jake yells at me.

This afternoon we're going dress shopping for Erica, then having dinner, booking several trips' travel arrangements, then turning in before tomorrow's rescue class and Valerie's "Child Medical Care" class for Erica and my Mom.

After today's Rescue class, Pez amd I joined Paulicarp for on of his OW dives with BDub and RJack. For his 2nd OW dive, Paulicarp looked like a stud. You could see that he knew what he "should" be looking like, and that he was doing what he could to be that. He didn't kick up NEARLY as much silt as I've seen AOW students or other students kick up in their classes. Really, Paulicarp showed some serious potential and I'd expect he'll be dialed in before he gets his first c-card. It was VERY clear, self study prior to class and a desire to have solid skills combined with top-shelf instruction from BDub has put Paulicarp way ahead of the pack. Chris and I had a delightful dive with Paulicarp, BDub, and RJack.

More rescue class tomorrow and then I'm likely dry for the rest of May. My scooter is being cared for, my doubles have been offered for a tech class (Lynne, let me know...), and the rest of my gear will be sitting at home tragicly dry until June.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Sounder wrote:I'm hanging up gear and enjoying a Mac & Jack's from the tap in my garage (I'm in heaven - I have the heavenly brew on tap right here!)...
Lucky, lucky you!

I missed out on diving today 'cuz I've been sick. So instead I've been (a) reorganizing my dive book library, (b) periodically visiting the Wakatobi website and dreaming about September 2010, and (c) doing laundry, lots of laundry.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Sounder wrote:...enjoying a Mac & Jack's from the tap in my garage....
Drool.....
Check out the VIDEOS!
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

pear flavoured. jelly belly, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Random Thought...I have 2 much to do , and not enough time to do it.. It seems like yesterday my kids were crawling on the living room floor.. Then taking Their 1st steps , Now there teens.. My first Job at Pizza hut Paid 3.35 an Hour... Now I make 85.00 an Hour... My first watch was a Red LCD , it showed the time, date, and seconds.. And It was the Coolest... Next sept I turn the big 40... This last month I pulled 4 of my first gray Hairs from my Head!!! .. I love Ben and Jerry's cookie dough ...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:I just got home from Rescue class with others (whom I'm sure will post about their class).

pez tried to drown me. twice. he failed. i saved him instead. twice.

more tomorrow. sounder will probably try to drown me, since pez failed.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

airsix wrote:I don't know if I've ever had so many simultaneous projects going (that's just the diving-related ones!). No new projects until the current pipeline is purged.

OK, fine, but as soon as you're done with all those frivilous chores, start building me one of these as soon as possible:

http://cgi.ebay.com/new-k10-hydrospeede ... dZViewItem

Better make me 2 or 3 of them, in black, please. Oh- this one's only rated to 130', I'm gonna need to go deeper, obviously.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Joshua Smith wrote:Better make me 2 or 3 of them, in black, please. Oh- this one's only rated to 130', I'm gonna need to go deeper, obviously.
No sweat, Josh. I bet I could make one that will go as deep as you want (as long as you don't need it to come back up again). That thing looks pretty fancy. 7-10 knots? Towed behind a ski-boat maybe. :evil4: But I'll tell you what, it sure looks better than that craig's list monstrosity that's been kicking around. We need to get them together and race (or dog fight!).
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

spatman wrote:
Sounder wrote:I just got home from Rescue class with others (whom I'm sure will post about their class).

pez tried to drown me. twice. he failed. i saved him instead. twice.

more tomorrow. sounder will probably try to drown me, since pez failed.
:penelope:

I believe that was my direction the last time I was a "victim" in a rescue scenario. With Sounder, I might add. :)
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

airsix wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:Better make me 2 or 3 of them, in black, please. Oh- this one's only rated to 130', I'm gonna need to go deeper, obviously.
No sweat, Josh. I bet I could make one that will go as deep as you want (as long as you don't need it to come back up again). That thing looks pretty fancy. 7-10 knots? Towed behind a ski-boat maybe. :evil4: But I'll tell you what, it sure looks better than that craig's list monstrosity that's been kicking around. We need to get them together and race (or dog fight!).
Hmmm. I just bet we could talk the Discovery Channel into filming something stupid like that. "Deep Sea Demolition Derby" or something?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Penopolypants wrote:
I believe that was my direction the last time I was a "victim" in a rescue scenario. With Sounder, I might add. :)
Go big or go home. Gearing up for part two right now... :penelope:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Sounder wrote:Hmmm...
I'm hanging up gear and enjoying a Mac & Jack's from the tap in my garage (I'm in heaven - I have the heavenly brew on tap right here!)... Which I need to post pictures of before Jake yells at me.
I spent yesterday afternoon enjoying homebrew from the tap and creating some delicious cream ale. Mmmmm Beeer....
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman