any reef tank keepers here

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

any reef tank keepers here

Post by Burntchef »

just wondering how many of us have taken the dive hobby to the next level by keeping a reef tank in the house? its a great way to have a slice of the tropics to allways gaze at. im currently in a 18 gallon reef full of corals. i do have a few tanks in the basement i would love to sell . one 50 gallon sea clear acrylic with a custom hood and a 75 gallon sea clear system 2 tank. also have some compact flourescent lights to sell to.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Looking at saltwater fish in a tank makes me sad. Especially after Finding Nemo. They look so human sometimes. :crybaby: I know its crazy, but I accept that.
jlehigh
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jlehigh »

Hey Burntchef,

Yea, I have a 280Gal SPS tank and a 210Gal Fish-Only. Been in the hobby for about 3.5yrs now.

Cera, I think it's safe to say most if not all advanced aquarists have mixed feelings over keeping aquatic life in captivity, however resposible aquarists continue to drive massive advancements in the success and best practices that ultimately can make the hobby self-sustaining and even give back to damaged areas of the Oceans. For example; virtualy ALL Ocelaris and Percula clownfish are captively bred. Every month new species are being successfully bred and in the case of corals succesfully propagated.

Here is a link to pictures of my corals:

Fish only tank:
Hermit "D" Crab
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

I'd love to do a tank with some species from around here.

And once I win the lottery you're all invited to hang at my place and laugh at the hermit crab fighting over shells.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Your in luck. I just decided it was time to sell my local tank. Info on it can be found here http://www.seanet.com/~katrinakruse/

I was thinking $600.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I've always loved looking at tanks... But alas, any spare scuba units after paying the bills must go to actual scuba... :salute:

PS - I HATE it when someone has a tank that is not maintained, nasty, green covered, etc. etc. Do it right or don't do it... IMHO :toimonster: