Tanks Stolen 6/8/09 Octopus Hole

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Kirby
Aquaphile

Tanks Stolen 6/8/09 Octopus Hole

Post by Kirby »

Hi all,

Had my HP 130 and a LP steel 80 stolen from Octopus hole today. The LP 80 was marked as Capital city Divers and was a rental tank. The 130 was a worthington with KP written on the tank in permanent marker and had an All in One Dive shop Vis sticker. I filed a police report with the Mason County Sheriff. Any help in recovery will be greatly appreciated.
Windows were not broken thank goodness, and my wallet was still there. Could have been much worse.
Learned a lesson about insurance on this one, my property max is only 250.00, I am looking to upgrade in a big way.
:angry:
Kirby Pollard
253-347-2817
Hi, My name is Kirby, and I am addicted to Nitrogen Narcosis.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Re: Tanks Stolen 6/8/09 Octopus Hole

Post by mz53480 »

Kirby,
So sorry to hear about this.....
All the times I've dove there and never had a problem. Very sad.
(assuming you've done so already, but if not-- be sure to let hoodsport n' dive and all the other local dive shops know)

MZ
:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Stu
Aquaphile

Post by Stu »

Damn that sucks, sorry to hear about that. You might also want to call some of the local dive shops and give them a heads up. They might be able to help in case the theif tries to go get your tank filled.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeesh I should be more careful too, thanks for the wakeup call.
They broke into you car but left the wallet? Weird thieves
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:Jeesh I should be more careful too, thanks for the wakeup call.
They broke into you car but left the wallet? Weird thieves
Sounds like someone knew what they were looking for... I hate to think it was a diver.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Sorry to hear that Kirby. I have heard reports about robberies there in the past. Good that they didn't break in to the car and clean you out that can be a real hassle with all the ID related issues.
JDR
Avid Diver

Post by JDR »

Kirby, if you will contact the Dive shops, they should have copies of the VCI/VIP information on the tanks. If you would like to post those serial numbers here (or at least send those numbers and tank descriptions to the local dive shops) it might help someone find and recover those tanks, or keep one of us from buying them.
BACK AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER - LET'S GO DIVING!
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Stealing tanks... That is such bad karma.
billandwende
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by billandwende »

Almost makes you want to fill an al80 with carbon monoxide leave it in the back of a truck in the same location and let nature do its thing. :blackblink:

Can you tell my stance on thieves? :ballandchain:
"I seek out more experienced divers who are willing to dive with me, and I buy them beer." :snorkel:

"It was awesome until the point where Bono endorsed it." Fishstiq

"Anyone know a good direction to point me in so i can figure out exactly what i have?" kat
billandwende
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by billandwende »

I can loan you a HP80 for a few months if your in need.
"I seek out more experienced divers who are willing to dive with me, and I buy them beer." :snorkel:

"Anyone know a good direction to point me in so i can figure out exactly what i have?" kat
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Kirby do you have the serial numbers writen down? I got a set back a few years later when they got sent in for hydro. get the numbers out to the all the dive shops as JDR said. Especaily Divers Supply and Light House as they buy used gear. I know Light House has returned alot of gear over the years. Jason loves to get people busted for brining in stolen gear. i do not know how many other shops buy used gear out thier anyone else know of others?
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

billandwende wrote:Almost makes you want to fill an al80 with carbon monoxide leave it in the back of a truck in the same location and let nature do its thing. :blackblink:

Use argon, you can get busted for CO to easily, they could show intent. :angelblue:
Greg
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

loanwolf wrote:
billandwende wrote:Almost makes you want to fill an al80 with carbon monoxide leave it in the back of a truck in the same location and let nature do its thing. :blackblink:

Use argon, you can get busted for CO to easily, they could show intent. :angelblue:
EAN100 would be my choice. It wouldn't seem weird on the surface during checks at all.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Sounder wrote:
loanwolf wrote:

EAN100 would be my choice. It wouldn't seem weird on the surface during checks at all.
2 or 3 hits on shore and its lights out with Ar.
Attachments
hotdogterroristsm.gif
hotdogterroristsm.gif (86.71 KiB) Viewed 3089 times
Greg
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

The capital divers lp80 has the number 75 on it as well. Gonna try and use a bigger tank today. Kirby says that despite the gangs of tacoma, people don't steal your gear there. Fingers crossed
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Winter wrote:The capital divers lp80 has the number 75 on it as well. Gonna try and use a bigger tank today. Kirby says that despite the gangs of tacoma, people don't steal your gear there. Fingers crossed
In Tacoma i do not think that those folks really know what a tank is and if it is worth anything. After having been out on the peninsula for a few weeks now and having talked with a lot of people out here. With the way the economy is out here and all the red necks crime is way up. it is really bad and only going to get worse as their unemployment begins to run out. all the mills are shut down out here and that is beginning to trickle down. I have never seen so many business closed or talked to so many business owners that are just hanging on by a thread and pretty sure this is the last year. January this year is going to be interesting as to how many business call it quits after they do their taxes and see were the year stood.

Kirby if you had your reberather you would not have had any tanks sitting in your truck to steal :partydance: . I have a spare set of twins that i can loan to a friend. I will be back Friday.
Greg
billandwende
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by billandwende »

Sounder wrote: Use argon, you can get busted for CO to easily, they could show intent. :angelblue:
Sounder wrote: EAN100 would be my choice. It wouldn't seem weird on the surface during checks at all.
Sweet. I knew someone had a better rat trap. =D>

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I was thinking about this more last night. One of the ways meth-heads are getting cash is to steal scrap metal. Copper is a huge bounty, and they'll steal spools of copper wire. My father had issues with theft of scrap metal from his yard at the plant and had to install a whole new, and expensive, security system. Between the video, and targeted drug-testing, he found the two guys who were doing it (inside job).

I wonder if it's not the tank they're after, but rather, if they're after the steel it's made of.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:I wonder if it's not the tank they're after, but rather, if they're after the steel it's made of.
why not toss the car for something more easily sold, like an ipod. his wallet was still there, too. these tanks were stolen because they're tanks, not because they can be converted to drugs. much easier targets for that.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spatman wrote:
Sounder wrote:I wonder if it's not the tank they're after, but rather, if they're after the steel it's made of.
why not toss the car for something more easily sold, like an ipod. his wallet was still there, too. these tanks were stolen because they're tanks, not because they can be converted to drugs. much easier targets for that.
Maybe, but my father's plant had computers available for theft too, but they took the metal.

All that said, however, I'm still on the same page you are thinking it's someone looking for tanks.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

billandwende wrote:...Sweet. I knew someone had a better rat trap....
0.jpg
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Modify to use:
1) permanent ink balls?
2) full-auto BB-gun? (easy to make. google "cloud bb gun" or "vortex bb gun")
3) record video for diveclub entertainment.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxBa5bQfTGc[/youtube]
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I have heard of theft at Octo Hole but it has been a long time. I will be keeping an eye out for the tanks. I would also let all the other dive shops in the area know because theives are stupid and they will try to "sell" stuff to a dive store.

Everyone...please post on the board if you know anyone who gets items stolen. We get 2-3 people in a week looking to "sell" used scuba items. If I know what to look for, maybe I could bust some of these "theives".
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

airsix wrote:Modify to use:
1) permanent ink balls?
2) full-auto BB-gun? (easy to make. google "cloud bb gun" or "vortex bb gun")
3) record video for diveclub entertainment.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxBa5bQfTGc[/youtube]
If that is truly real as it looks to be and not remotly controled off camera that totaly rocks. He built a RSG for a few thousand were the government pays millions for the same thing that fires real bullets.
Greg
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Pinkpadigal wrote: Everyone...please post on the board if you know anyone who gets items stolen. We get 2-3 people in a week looking to "sell" used scuba items. If I know what to look for, maybe I could bust some of these "theives".
Actually, I'd be thinking paintballer types...They're looking for something where they can get a fill and recharge their own tanks at home, at least until it comes up for hydro.

There's a hydro shop over in Bremerton that I would be sure to let know that it happened, as they specialize in paintball gear and equipment.

It may be fun, but it is kind of a redneck sport :)
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...