So long, and thanks for all the fish

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

So long, and thanks for all the fish

Post by Kalatin »

So the Army has spoken. No later than Friday, the Stricker household will be caravaning down to lovely West-Central Louisiana for at least a year in the lovely humidity. We are very excited. I have tried everything I could to avoid or delay this move, but circumstances are such that I can't justify staying in the Puget Sound. Details to follow when I have less packing to do. Hopefully we will be back in about two years - only the Department of Defense knows. In the meantime, I will continue my lurkerish behavior and will be back to visit (and dive) as much as possible. Through this board I have met incredible mentors, great friends, and even :eric: . I will miss you all.
Kate
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish

Post by cardiver »

Kalatin wrote:So the Army has spoken. No later than Friday, the Stricker household will be caravaning down to lovely West-Central Louisiana for at least a year in the lovely humidity. We are very excited. I have tried everything I could to avoid or delay this move, but circumstances are such that I can't justify staying in the Puget Sound. Details to follow when I have less packing to do. Hopefully we will be back in about two years - only the Department of Defense knows. In the meantime, I will continue my lurkerish behavior and will be back to visit (and dive) as much as possible. Through this board I have met incredible mentors, great friends, and even :eric: . I will miss you all.
Kate
Fort Polk! Have fun down there!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

:angry:

we're gonna miss you, kate! keep in touch, and come back and visit!
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Hey, Kate, I'm sorry we won't get a chance to dive together before you leave. Bummer.

Hope your travels are safe and that you make your way back up this way soon! Just think...you will be within driving distance of Bourbon Street....a bright spot, I think!
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Kate, I'm profoundly sorry that we didn't ever get a chance to dive together again, after your ear injury. Have fun in Louisiana (it's not THAT far to cave country) and I hope we see you back in the PNW.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

What bummer for us! I've enjoyed your commentary both live and on the board. Please keep in touch.

:crybaby:
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Boo! :(

You'll be missed, Kate! Please come back and visit when you can.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

try to keep you sense of humor.... though it can be a tough thing to keep in (S)Leeseville. Toledo Bend is a nice little oasis for the kids in the summer.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

So Kate... by "excited" do you mean livid?

No doubt the northwest mourns the temporary loss of one of it's most fun and enthusiastic divers. Few divers are funnier underwater than Kate. Most aren't as fun as she is topside. And certainly no one will have your back underwater like Kate.

I left... and Kate is bailing... Casey's going to have to find a couple other unified team doofuses to be awesome around.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Kate - it's been a pleasure, and too short and not often enough.

All my best to you and your sweetheart wherever Uncle Sam drags you.

There's gotta be diving in Louisiana, doesn't there?

We'll look for you on the board from time to time as you're able... safe travels!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
billandwende
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by billandwende »

:crybaby:

I had a great time diving with you. :occasion5: I was looking forward to a repeat. :mmmbeer:

I'm still looking forward to the repeat but now it'll just take a bit longer. :thumb3d:
"I seek out more experienced divers who are willing to dive with me, and I buy them beer." :snorkel:

"It was awesome until the point where Bono endorsed it." Fishstiq

"Anyone know a good direction to point me in so i can figure out exactly what i have?" kat
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Kate,
Be sure to check back in once in a while, as you can continue your dive adventures.
You can still comment with your fun sense of humor and post some dive reports from Louisianna.
Hope to see you back here again someday and then we'll get you in on a better dive at Day Island.

I love that Line from the "Hich Hiker's Guide to the Galexy" And it could't have been used any better than this! :supz:

It's also a great line to leave the stage with at the end of a gig! (About 1/4 of the audiance is left confused)

Untill you return, You will be missed.

God Bless and have a safe trip to your new home. :salute:

Keith

P.S.
[The Guide] says that the best drink in existence is the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster. It says that the effect of a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster is like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. :mmmbeer:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

:penelope: :angry:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Kate,
There are a few fishing charters that will let you dive off of the oil rigs they pull up to, fyi. You can spear fish, or just go see the wildlife that collects around these "reefs"

Take care, kiddo!

D(B)
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Missin' you already ... anytime you want to come for a visit, you have a place to stay and gear to use ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Good luck on your trip and move to Ft PUKE UH I mean Polk,LA. I spent a good 3 years there from 1988-1991. I am sure you will just love the HOT and Humid days there. I can remember those nice summer days when all of the sudden a cloud burst comes and after it is all over you feel like you were put into a STEAMER and was waiting for the timer to go off. OH how I miss those days. :metal: :penelope: :driving:
Jeff Castor
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Kate, you're one of the most fun buddies I've dove with. You and I fight the same urge to touch the pretty things underwater. That octo on the ledge at Sund Rock, the "no swim" zone with crystal clear vis at Cove 2.... The look on your face when I flipped onto my back under the pilings.... Classic moments.

We'll all miss you-be sure to come back for a visit when you can, and PLEASE scope out the diving in LA.... I could use a good southern adventure!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Good luck with the move, and have a great time!!! You should dive DIW before you leave though....

Rich