We're Still In Shock

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

We're Still In Shock

Post by dwashbur »

Many of you, at club dives or just meeting up with us, met our black lab Sirius, and everybody loves him. I'm saddened to report that has to be past tense now. We were playing with him outside A2Z this afternoon when a weird gust of wind caught his favorite frisbee and he chased it right out onto River Road. God, I'm going to miss him. He was a major part of our family.

Many thanks to Dan at A2Z, who was on the phone almost as soon as it happened tracking down a vet we could take Sirius to, and to a couple of other fellows there whose names I didn't get (forgive me) who helped move him and tried to help comfort my daughter. When I turned to try and run to her, something popped in my right leg around my ankle/achilles' tendon area, and I fell flat on my face. One of those guys helped me up and took care of a lot of the things that I suddenly couldn't do. "Thank you" seems much too inadequate for such people who step in at crucial moments.

This really hurts.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Re: We're Still In Shock

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how devastating it can be to loose a (canine) friend. I really hope your injury isn't too serious

Matt
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

The guys called me right away and told me what happen. We are all very sad and thinking of you and your family tonight.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I'm so sorry.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

dave,

i'm really sorry to hear this news. i once lost a dog in a very similar way , so i know what you and your family are feeling right now. it is a terrible shock and a traumatic experience, and there's not much that will help but time. please take care of yourselves in the meantime.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Sorry to hear of the loss of a family member.. Pets are family , and they endure a lot of years with us and make very special memories.. Could you please post a Picture of Him .
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Oh Dave, I'm so sorry to hear about Sirius. A hug to you and your family during this sad time.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Horrible news. Dogs are gifts to us-their spirits are on loan to make our lives richer. My sincere condolences.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Man, I'm so sorry to hear about this- I love my dog, and I'm going to be devastated when she's no longer with us. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, my sincere condolences.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

That really sucks man. I'm so sorry. Pets are family.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Dave!
Wow!So sorry to hear of this loss! I too, agree, that our dogs do become an important part of the family. My sympathy goes out to your family and I hope your injury is healing also.

Keith.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

One of the best things God created was the relationship between dogs and man. Throughout my life most of my best friends have had four legs and a wagging tail. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend and companion, and I know how much it hurts.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

I'm so sorry to all of you for your loss! It's so devastating to lose such a good friend. Please take comfort in knowing that he spent his time here as a very happy member of a very loving family.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

That is really sad. I am very sorry.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I think I met that dog a couple of weeks ago. Typical lab fust wanting to have fun. As a person that has lost a number of dogs over the years, my condolences, that was one good dog.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Dave, I"m so sorry. Sending hugs and warm thoughts your way....

-Valerie
luv 2 dive
Just Settling In

Post by luv 2 dive »

Here is a picture of Sirus lounging around.
CIMG6754.JPG
I keep expecting Sirus to come plodding over to be petted. Malinda is just devastated.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Sirius Black Washburn was between 5 and 6 years old, we don't know exactly. Nobody could believe he was that old because he always acted like a year-old puppy. We got him when he was 8 weeks old, and we liked to describe him as "black lab mixed with something else, we don't know what." It didn't matter to us, but it was always fun to watch people try and figure out what else he was made of. When we got him we were naming our pets after Harry Potter characters. Since Sirius Black in the books had the ability to change into a big black dog, the name was a natural. It was always fun explaining his name to people. Usually all we had to say was "like in Harry Potter" and they knew what we meant.

From the very first we knew he was special. I've had dogs all my life, but he was the one I had been waiting for. His life revolved around showing love to his family and playing fetch. He didn't have a mean bone in his body and loved to get along with everybody. We were always comfortable taking him with us wherever we went, because we knew anybody who met him would fall in love with him. And they did, including many NWDC folks. You could usually hear me calling him my "big goof." Malinda enjoyed nothing so much as getting out and playing with him. A ball, a stick, and more recently a frisbee were his favorite objects in the world. Often he would come up to one of us in the apartment and bring us a ball. We didn't even have to go outside, just toss it down the hall and he was happy.

When he was very young, we took him on a walk around the neighborhood. He wandered off and got separated from us for several minutes, and when he finally found us the relief in his expression was indescribable (those who say dogs can't make facial expressions are full of sh*t, pardon my English). He never forgot that incident, because he couldn't stand to be away from us for very long, and if he didn't know where we were he got frantic. He got to where it was okay for us to go do something like shopping or diving, because he knew if he was in the car we would be back. But walking, playing at the park or anything else, he had to know where we were all the time. And if we went separate directions, one going this way and one going that, he didn't know what to do because he might lose sight of one of us. It was really funny, and endeared him to us just that much more.

At home he would wander around to each of us begging for some petting; often he would lie down on the floor in front of Kathy or Malinda so they could stroke him with their feet. When one of us stood up from a chair, he was right there: time to play? Let's go! He was always so...alive. Once we moved to Auburn, he became a semi-constant figure at A2Z. We would bring him in and he would make the rounds, getting cuddles and head pats from everybody in the shop.

I could always tell if someone was trustworthy just by watching how he reacted to them. If he liked you, I knew you were okay. If his hackles went up or he growled or barked, I knew I was looking at somebody suspicious. That's why I keep a close eye on certain people in our apartment complex: I learned to trust my dog's opinion of people much more than my own. He loved every NWDC'er he ever met, and to me that's a measure of how terrific this group really is.

Goodbye, Sirius. God, I miss you so much already.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Chenari
Dive-aholic

Post by Chenari »

It's not much, but this is my photo of him. I took it in A2Z with my DS and had to take a picture of the screen just to get it to where I could use it. It's him in one of his happiest places and I'll always remember him like this.

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Dave and Fam - wow... so sudden... tough loss. I remember just last week sharing some love and affection with Sirius at A2Z. My condolences on your loss - he was a wonderful pup...

-Tom
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Wow Dave! I am shocked and deeply saddened to hear this news. You not only lost a family member but a very close buddy also. I have been through the same thing and still get tears thinking about it after all these years. He was a stray who adopted us kinda like serious.

My sincere condolences to you and your family.