Commercial divers in huge demand..

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Commercial divers in huge demand..

Post by DiverDown »

James Finch, 18, a commercial diving student, works in the training pool at Ocean Corp.'s training facility in southwest Houston. Good pay is attracting recruits from around the globe for the oil and gas industry, which is enduring a shortage of divers.
I thought about doing this a few years ago. I only wish I was single and 18 when I started diving.. Family makes this trade tough..
Heres the LINK
Who run barter town?
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

Yeah - but there's a whole lot of difference between doing something as a recreation because you love it, and having to do it when it's your job.
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Commercial divers are an interesting bunch of people. I get a few of them in my store. Most are men, 18-25, and are looking for a thrill. The stories I hear about what they do scare me. The amount of decompression they do seems extremely rough on your body and would justify the amount of money they make.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Yeh, I read a story about the long term effects to doing commercial diving. Real scary. Usually after 15 years or so they move up to surface support and then deal with many aches and pains the rest of the life. I am not aware of any large long term studies of the effect of doing diving like they do. I just want to keep it fun.

Charles
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

The money?

Post by girldiver »

After doing some interviews with female commercial divers, I've found that the amount of money that you make isn't all that we think it is.

It increases over time...but the amount of risk that you take at the beginning...before the money kicks in...well, don't know that it's worth all that.
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.