Zombieland

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Zombieland

Post by Joshua Smith »

LINK

F#&@ing awesome. Best movie of the year. Decade, maybe. You like zombie movies? This is a really, really good one. It's campy as hell- but in all the right ways. Not realistic, like 28 days later, (which I also loved) but just a damn good time. All-American, blood-and gore, badass fun. A couple of beers before you watch it might help. Couldn't hurt. Anyway, like Tallahassee says: "Nut up or shut up!"
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Re: Zombieland

Post by Sockmonkey »

Thanks Josh... I live in a bit of a pop culture vacuum here. So thanks for the movie tip. I'm always down for zombie action. I'm especially excited about the director of Zombieland's next project in development titled "Psycho Funky Chimp." How could that be bad?

Speaking of zombies... I just re-read the Zombie Survival Guide recently... ya know just in case.

I also recommend World War Z written by the same author as a journalistic account of the zombie wars.

Monster Island is a fine read even without the zombie action... I've been meaning to read the books that follow (Monster Nation and Monster Planet).

Then of course is something I've been saving for my next vacation read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem! What's the only thing that would get me to read Jane Austen? Well zombies of course.

Here's my buddy Cimpher's photos of zombie stuff he crafted. He organized a zombie march in Boston that attracted hundreds of zombies flash mob style to roam the city streets in search of brains. And a movie short he made featuring his hipster bike messenger friends as zombies running around the streets of Allston/Brighton. I wish I wasn't traveling for work cause I wanted to be a zombie :(
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Heh- looks like you know your Zombology.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Ahem... sorry. There are few things that get me "jen bowes" style excited and zombies are one of them.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

OMG, brilliant! I will cease from giving my full gorgeous report of the movie, because I don't want to give anything away, but the Ghostbusters scene (et al) was hilarity in and of itself!

Marvelous! Thanks for the recommendation!

(He he - "Jen Bowes" excited! Neat!)
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Jenbowes wrote:OMG, brilliant! I will cease from giving my full gorgeous report of the movie, because I don't want to give anything away, but the Ghostbusters scene (et al) was hilarity in and of itself!

Marvelous! Thanks for the recommendation!

(He he - "Jen Bowes" excited! Neat!)

So glad you liked it! Yeah, I don't want to gush, or anything.....OK, never mind that- I'm gonna gush. Best Movie, Ever! So much fun- I think the "Best Picture" category is all sewn up for the 2009 Oscars. Seriously. I can't remember having that much fun at a movie in a very long time. :norris:

Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Just watched the trailer on youtube and it's pretty freakin hilarious. Now if only I had $9 left over after all my dive related purchases......
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
April
Dive-aholic

Post by April »

Thanks for reminding me about this movie, it looks pretty fantastic. A perfect role for Woody Harrelson!
April
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

April wrote:Thanks for reminding me about this movie, it looks pretty fantastic. A perfect role for Woody Harrelson!
I saw it Friday night and good ole Woody made the movie. I'm not a big fan of that other kid who starred in it. He has too much of that "Juno" style about him.

Rant on

Did I mention I hate "Juno" and when that stupid Comcast commercial comes on with that dry type song that movie made so popular, I want to throw a brick through my televison.

Rant off.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

pensacolaracer wrote:
April wrote:Thanks for reminding me about this movie, it looks pretty fantastic. A perfect role for Woody Harrelson!
I saw it Friday night and good ole Woody made the movie. I'm not a big fan of that other kid who starred in it. He has too much of that "Juno" style about him.

Rant on

Did I mention I hate "Juno" and when that stupid Comcast commercial comes on with that dry type song that movie made so popular, I want to throw a brick through my televison.

Rant off.

Dude- What happened to " I don't give a ****!" ?
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
pensacolaracer wrote:

Rant on

Rant off.

Dude- What happened to " I don't give a ****!" ?
Everyone has a goat tied somewhere. They found mine when they made that damn movie.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

pensacolaracer wrote:

Rant on

Rant off.

Hey. Comparing "Juno" to this movie ain't fair! (But, yeah. Cut the kid some slack, though- he was pretty good in this one- and he even grew a big enough pair to deal with the zombie-clown, at the end! Credit where it's due.)

sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

i was planning to go see this one on Friday
now i am so excited to see it i just may have to go a day or so early

I thought the trailers for it looked like it could be really funny as hell or worse then any thing you could ever think of

I wil have to post up my take on the movie after i see it besides mine is the only one that counts

LOL
Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Thanks folks. Last night, for a break from reality and due to your good reviews I took my wife to see Zombieland. It was almost a disaster!

After the first few scenes she was curled up in her seat with her eyes closed and that expression on her face that means: "I'd leave now but I'd have to open my eyes to do it." But, good spouse that she is and due to laughter coming from all over the theatre she hung in there.

It was a funny, carricature of a horror movie. I laughed so much my sides hurt. Guess that makes me mentally as well as physically sick, eh? The movie in a way reminded me of Arnold's old movie "Commando"; especially when Woody was doing his thing in the booth while the girls were going up and down. I'll bet the cast had a ball making the movie.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

From the start, I knew it was going to be great fun and laughter. [Woman driving car]...Rule #3 Seatbelts.

Go see this in theaters!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Rule #41
Don't take your wife to a zombie movie. You will lose movie selection privileges for 3 months. :angryblue:

Arctic Diver, you are not alone. My wife hates that I liked it. (I thought it was hilarious)
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Well, my wife LOVED it. Which, frankly, surprised me a little bit- but she was laughing as loud as I was, at all the right times, even.

My favorite rule was #2- Double Tap.

ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

This afternoon she admitted that she laughed at some scenes.(I thoughtI saw a smile.) So, maybe I'm off the hook a bit. But, I bet I'm still on the hook for dinners at Shuckers, Tulio's and the Wild Ginger the next time we're in Seattle. Could be worse, eh?
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I watched it the other night and loved it. I think it's going to be one of those ones I'll revisit from time to time. One of the best comedys in a while.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Joshua Smith wrote: My favorite rule was #2- Double Tap.

Rule you have to Double Tap?????? I thought it was a Law. :rocket: Unless you are a sniper. :snipersmiley:
Charles
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Just saw it tonight. It was awesome! Josh, what kind of gun did Tallahassee have?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Tangfish wrote:Just saw it tonight. It was awesome! Josh, what kind of gun did Tallahassee have?
Impossible to be sure- some kind of sawed off lever action. Remington .30/.30?

Tropic Thunder
Just Settling In

Post by Tropic Thunder »

Zombieland was freaking awesome indeed. Loved everything except one part: they didn't show him decapitate that one zombie with the loppers! What gives? Come on now... :angry:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Tangfish wrote:Just saw it tonight. It was awesome! Josh, what kind of gun did Tallahassee have?
Impossible to be sure- some kind of sawed off lever action. Remington .30/.30?
Something like this?
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Scottsax got it right. It is nicknamed a "mare's leg" and is traditionally a cut-down Winchester model 1892. The nickname comes from some old western movie. I can't remember which. The biggest downside is the tubular magazine that runs along the bottom of the barrel has to be shortened. A standard 1892 had a 15 round capacity but a cut-down mare's leg holds only 7. Most shot a .44 Winchester which is a pistol cartridge. So I don't know if it really makes sense as a weapon. A revolver in .44 would be smaller and easier to manage and would have nearly the same capacity.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey