Trip Report: HMCS Saskatchewan and HMSC Cape Breton, Nanaimo

Canadians and divers who love the pristine waters and storied shipwrecks of B.C. gather here. Dive Beautiful British Columbia!
60south
Pelagic

Trip Report: HMCS Saskatchewan and HMSC Cape Breton, Nanaimo

Post by 60south »

I just returned from diving the wrecks of the Saskatchewan and Cape Breton in Nanaimo. The dive operation I used was Sundown diving; they have a small boat (maybe 6 divers) and go to local sites including the wrecks. The boat can get fully booked during busy times of the year, or not go out at all if they don't have enough divers. To save a few bucks on lodging I stayed at the nearby Living Forest private campground at $26CDN/night -- a busy place during the summer months but well-appointed and convenient to town.

The diving was good, with visibility 30-40ft and a strong thermocline. The wrecks are within recreational depths. The currents were light, and there didn't seem to be much concern for slack-tide planning. I was impressed by the water clarity.

Overall it was really good diving. I wouldn't go there just for the wrecks unless you were practicing tech stuff, but as part of a larger trip on Vancouver island it's definitely worth a visit.

g
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Re: Trip Report: HMCS Saskatchewan and HMSC Cape Breton, Nan

Post by Maverick »

sounds like fun, wish i went. there is one correction and i know its technical, but they aren't wrecks they are REEFS, artificial reefs at that, still really really cool but not wrecks. :neener: how much was the charter?
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Maverick wrote:sounds like fun, wish i went. there is one correction and i know its technical, but they aren't wrecks they are REEFS, artificial reefs at that, still really really cool but not wrecks. :neener: how much was the charter?
$110CDN plus lots of tax for a two-tank dive. More if you need to rent gear.

Sorry, my bad. REEFS. Okay, so the next time you want do a reef penetration or take a reef diving class, you may want to consider the reefs in Nanaimo. Be sure to take your reef reels and extra lights because, you know, reefs are dark and dangerous places.
:neener: back at ya'.
MikeMeagher
Dive-aholic

Post by MikeMeagher »

I knew what you meant to say. :) I still call then "wrecks" as well.
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

I would still call them wrecks... just not a "natural" wreck. You can still do penetration and have all of the hazards that go with it.

A boat on the bottom is still a boat on the bottom... doesn't matter how it got there.