Tariff on housings at YVR

Canadians and divers who love the pristine waters and storied shipwrecks of B.C. gather here. Dive Beautiful British Columbia!
Max Bottomtime
Frequent Bubbler

Tariff on housings at YVR

Post by Max Bottomtime »

U. S. Customs wanted to charge us a tariff for bringing our housings back from God's Pocket. They wanted to know the value, but let us slide this time. They said we need to get a card from Port Authority next time. The U. S. is turning into Cabo San Lucas.
insomniac
Just Settling In

Re: Tariff on housings at YVR

Post by insomniac »

Woah, that's insane... They can't legally do that right? WTF.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

I had to take precautions against running into a similar issue when bringing certain items of value back into the US. A simple solution was to stop at the US side of the border to get a simple form showing that the items were already owned by me before crossing.
The customs officers are looking for items that may be subject to duty charges, if purchased in Canada.
Max Bottomtime
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Max Bottomtime »

Where did you get the form? We have a few trips lined up and I don't want to pay for my own housing again.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

I got the form at the US customs office at the land crossing into Canada. You might also do well to have the original receipt or other record of sale from where you bought your housing.