WTB: Winter Undergarment

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

WTB: Winter Undergarment

Post by thefeve »

Hey All,

So recently realizing my White's MK2 undergarment isn't quite enough for winter diving. I've been wearing a few layers of poly under as well, but I was freezing on my last dive. Can't afford a shmancy new one, so thought i'd put the word out to see if anyone had any used or old heavier undies they'd part with for cheap. I'm probably an XL or XXL men's size (6'1, 240ish)

Thanks!
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: WTB: Winter Undergarment

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

Also considering adding a 2nd hood-- maybe wearing a tropical beanie under your current one.

A lot of heat is lost through your head. Reducing water exchange around your head, or adding more insulation there, can make a big difference.

As the old camping phrase goes: If your feet are cold, put on a hat :)
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

It's really not the heat loss on the head for me...its keeping the air in the suit...that fine layer....getting it just right will keep you warm and dandy...argon also helps me.
However, I dive a Weezle and would not dive anything else but a 4th element. My husband Tim dives that as his choice and then dives the fleece jumpsuit in the summer...
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

Yah I Think part of my problem is also controlling the air bubble in my suit. I've been a lot more conservative lately (meaning more saueeze) in an effort to ease control of my trim and risk of feet gettin floaty. So I realize I have to work on that a bit. But also think the fleece layer isn't quite enough for this time of year...
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

thefeve wrote:Yah I Think part of my problem is also controlling the air bubble in my suit. I've been a lot more conservative lately (meaning more saueeze) in an effort to ease control of my trim and risk of feet gettin floaty. So I realize I have to work on that a bit. But also think the fleece layer isn't quite enough for this time of year...
Argon.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

Nwbrewer wrote:
thefeve wrote:Yah I Think part of my problem is also controlling the air bubble in my suit. I've been a lot more conservative lately (meaning more saueeze) in an effort to ease control of my trim and risk of feet gettin floaty. So I realize I have to work on that a bit. But also think the fleece layer isn't quite enough for this time of year...
Argon.
Just got a fill!
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

So first dive with Argon and it was definitely a significant difference! About the same bottom time and conditions and I was "less cold"... Can't say I was warm:) but should be enough for now at least for he stuff I'm doin, or find a good deal on a better undy...
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

thefeve wrote:So first dive with Argon and it was definitely a significant difference! About the same bottom time and conditions and I was "less cold"... Can't say I was warm:) but should be enough for now at least for he stuff I'm doin, or find a good deal on a better undy...
Or double the 100's so you can do a full length dive.....
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

Hey now, 42 min isn't all that bad... and that was starting with 2900psi in the tank!
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

thefeve wrote:So first dive with Argon and it was definitely a significant difference! About the same bottom time and conditions and I was "less cold"... Can't say I was warm:) but should be enough for now at least for he stuff I'm doin, or find a good deal on a better undy...
I've never felt warmer using argon over air or nitrox. However, I do notice that it takes significantly longer to get chilled when using argon.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

BDub wrote:
I've never felt warmer using argon over air or nitrox. However, I do notice that it takes significantly longer to get chilled when using argon.
Yah that's a good way to put it. Not warmer, but just felt like i didn't get uncomfortably chilled as fast...
HaleyH20
Just Settling In

Post by HaleyH20 »

Are you still looking for undergarments? I have Fourth Element bottoms (L) and top (XL) that I'm looking to sell.
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

Yah potentially. Would have to see how they fit...
HaleyH20
Just Settling In

Post by HaleyH20 »

Hi-

You're welcome to try them on sometime. I live in Seattle, so maybe we could meet halfway?

I would like to try to sell them together, but I would be willing to sell the bottoms alone. I was thinking $115 for each piece (if I recall, they were $200 per piece), and if you buy both then I'd take off $30.

Do you have any questions about them before you decide if you want to try them?

Let me know!