FS: 72s/bands

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

FS: 72s/bands

Post by dsteding »

Bump:

These are the two galvanized 72s with epoxy linings, my project to make a small set of doubles that hasn't really gone anywhere. No valves, but they do have Ralph Hood bands. Fire King can remove the linings, and you can then get them 02 clean. Use as-is for pre-mix or air.

05 hydros, both current (May) VIP.

$125 for both tanks and the bands, add a 'fold and you got a nice set of new doubles. I'm just never going to get around to setting these up.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Ooops, my edit didn't bump this.

Bump.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

The Tank Pimp strikes again! :naka:
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

I'm always up to something . . .
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Dude calvin I thought i was the tank pimp.

I love tanks steding. I have a shit ton of 72s. I have one set of 72 twins and four single 72s. i love the set, almost more than my 98cf oms doubles. not for long deco dives at least. I been wanting to twin up another set so I have three sets (hate having to go fill)

You have me interested in your set if all i need is a 'fold.

why is it bad to have lined tanks and can you have nitrox filled in them, and can you blend in them or does it have to be pre mixed mitrox. also how much is it to have the lining removed?

thanks Mav
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Maverick wrote:
why is it bad to have lined tanks and can you have nitrox filled in them, and can you blend in them or does it have to be pre mixed mitrox. also how much is it to have the lining removed?

thanks Mav
My understanding is pre-blend is probably fine, but PP blending is a no-no. No one knows how these old linings react to high pressure O2, and it isn't worth finding out.

Apparently, Fire King will bead blast the linings out for $20/tank.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The tanks were made before Doug was glint in his Daddy's eye. So nobody really knows the O2 compatibility of the epoxy.

They can be filled with air or anything <40% by continuous blending or membrane, (since the general industry consensus is that <40% EAN requires no special cleaning). They are quite clean, having been tumbled overnight (by me) in a futile attempt to remove the epoxy. That is tough stuff! The big kicker is that they may not receive 100% O2 in any form. So no partial pressure blending.

Fire King can remove the linings by shot blasting for $20 each.

Richard
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I am still interested in the tanks but have to have the linings taken out, because my instructor PP blends(and continous), so I have to add 40 bucks to O2 cleaning them, how low will you go?
Mav
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

STAIRS.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Well, I have $150 in these things already ($40 each on the tanks, $70 with shipping on the bands), so $125 is as low as I'd go. Any lower, and I'll just hold onto them and get around to taking the linings out at some point.

Given that they have 3 years left on hydro and are pretty clean, I think that is a good deal.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Yeah its a good deal, I was just trying to justify to my self to buy them fromyou because I alreay have enought tanks. I just thought it couldn't hurt to buy some already banded instead of banding some of my single 72s.

i will ponder a bit more.
mav
Maverick

STAIRS.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Last bump, all that is left is the tanks themselves, no boots, no valves, but they are in hydro, VIP'd and very clean. $25 each.

Add valves and boots (scrounge them from a dive shop) and you'll have two nice single tanks with capacity similar to an AL80 for cheap.

I'd consider swapping these and some cash for one post-1990 Luxfer AL80.