WTB Ditchachable Weight Pockets for BP/W

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
archaeofish
Aquaphile

WTB Ditchachable Weight Pockets for BP/W

Post by archaeofish »

Anyone have any ditchable weight pockets cluttering up their dive locker that they'd like to part with?

I'm looking for something in the 20-30lb range to add to the harness on my backplate and wing. I've been diving for years with a weight belt but had some recent back problems that make me think having all that weight hanging off my lower back probably isn't the best thing. I like to kayak dive as well so a weight harness is a non-starter but I'm open to any other suggestions folks in the club might have. Thank you in advance,

Ross
While it's generally acknowledged that wetsuit divers are a shade or two crazier than the rest of us, we're all special idiots for voluntarily diving in dark, cold, water! - scottsax
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Re: WTB Ditchachable Weight Pockets for BP/W

Post by Peter Guy »

I'd suggest the DUI Weight and Trim or similar weight harness. Putting the weights onto a separate harness gives you much the same advantage as having pockets on your BP but with spreading the weight and thus saving some strain on your back.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I have a Dive Rite. Standard pockets were OK but flopped around a lot.
Joyce has Halcyon and had stock pockets. After she lost her 2nd pouch with an unplanned ascent she decided to change.
We both got Seasoft pouches, which work on both systems fine, and are better weight pockets as far as both of us are concerned. Mine don't flop around anymore. Her's have not fallen out. No problems in over 2 years.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

DUI weight and trim is the way to go. Much easier on your back.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
chokolad
Avid Diver

Post by chokolad »

archaeofish wrote:Anyone have any ditchable weight pockets cluttering up their dive locker that they'd like to part with?

I'm looking for something in the 20-30lb range to add to the harness on my backplate and wing. I've been diving for years with a weight belt but had some recent back problems that make me think having all that weight hanging off my lower back probably isn't the best thing. I like to kayak dive as well so a weight harness is a non-starter but I'm open to any other suggestions folks in the club might have. Thank you in advance,

Ross
I have Halcyon ACB 20 I want to sell. 2 pockets, each can hold 10 lb. THey are rather big, so if you have a smaller sized waist I would not recommend it.

Here is a good picture http://www.tecdiveshop.nl/tec_gear/1151 ... cb-20.html

They were discontinued by Halcyon so you will not be able to find them there.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

I have two models of Halycon weight pockets I'll sell cheap. One model holds I think about 10 pounds in each one and the other model holds 15#'s. I'll sell both sets for $25 total but you pay shipping. Shipping will probably be about $15 or $20 bucks.

Jeff
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Just to add to the diversity of options I'm going to suggest an approach that has worked well for me and many other people. Keep your weight belt but with a modest amount of lead, say 8-12lbs. This is a much more comfortable belt than 20lbs. or more and the remaining weight won't overtax modestly sized pouches on your BP/W harness or make your rig too much heavier. You should experiment to determine how much you can wear on your belt and still float enough in your dry suit to be comfortable getting in/out of your kayak.

Furthermore the smaller pouches on your BP/W won't crowd your waist strap. I've been using one XS Scuba trim weight pouch (I've been using a WB101 but the new WB101QR would be easier to dump) on each side of my harness waist strap held in place with a tri-glide and two more on the cam-bands. I don't adjust the quantity of lead on my belt and it is very easy to switch the size of the weights on the BP/W harness to compensate for variations in undergarments, tank size, diving in fresh water, etc.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
archaeofish
Aquaphile

Post by archaeofish »

Thank you all for your suggestions and offers. I will follow up with PMs.
While it's generally acknowledged that wetsuit divers are a shade or two crazier than the rest of us, we're all special idiots for voluntarily diving in dark, cold, water! - scottsax