Fs - pony bottle setup, new

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
robjuge
Getting To Know Folks

Fs - pony bottle setup, new

Post by robjuge »

For Sale:

Brand new (never in the water) Pony bottle/spare air setup - $710 value, asking $380 (even though it's all new, want to sell quick) - MAY entertain serious offers, and potential trades...

1 - Catalina 13 cu aluminum Yellow scuba tank - full of air (13"T x 4"W) (V111795) - vis Sep 13 ($130 new) (http://www.leisurepro.com/p-aqutp/catal ... -pro-valve)

2 - Highland scuba bottle mount pony bracket $90 new (

3 - Aqualung Titan LX Regulator (Stage 1 & 2) - $490 new http://www.scuba.com/US/scuba-gear-36/0 ... fgoduQUAnw

For pictures, go to: http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/spo/4518452137.html

I bought this stuff, but ended up not using it (I was on a "super-safe" kick). I'm looking for a smaller spare air rig that weighs less and is more compact.
Attachments
image.jpg
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Fs - pony bottle setup, new

Post by Dusty2 »

That's actually about as small as I would consider a pony. Any smaller and it won't be of much use in a real emergency. I personally carry a 19cf and would not go any smaller. My 19 is only good for 10 min under NORMAL conditions and if you have a true emergency in rough water conditions that will go even faster. Keep in mind that just getting to the surface may not be good enough if the conditions go bad while your down there.

Just my 2 PSI
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

robjuge wrote: I bought this stuff, but ended up not using it (I was on a "super-safe" kick). I'm looking for a smaller spare air rig that weighs less and is more compact.
Nice looking setup. However, IMHO, if you are going to be running a pony, a 13cf is a little small. I do a pony, and I consider my 19cf to be bare minimum. Just my two psi...
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Don't waste your money - The Spare Air is pretty much useless in an OOA situation, worse than useless if you feel more secure by having it.

13 CF bottles are primarily used as argon bottles but I guess if you're doing shallow dives then it would be helpful in an emergency. You have a nice set-up, if you want to make it more compact convert your yoke Titan reg to DIN.

If you want to understand the amount of gas that you'll need in a potential OOA emergency, here's a great article by Bob. If you go through and do the math, you'll be shocked by how much gas you actually need in an emergency situation.
http://nwgratefuldiver.com/articles/gas.html
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

BillZ wrote:Don't waste your money - The Spare Air is pretty much useless in an OOA situation, worse than useless if you feel more secure by having it.

13 CF bottles are primarily used as argon bottles but I guess if you're doing shallow dives then it would be helpful in an emergency. You have a nice set-up, if you want to make it more compact convert your yoke Titan reg to DIN.

If you want to understand the amount of gas that you'll need in a potential OOA emergency, here's a great article by Bob. If you go through and do the math, you'll be shocked by how much gas you actually need in an emergency situation.
http://nwgratefuldiver.com/articles/gas.html
As a rebreather diver, I consider an AL40 to be a minimum bail out bottle. You can make a good argument for a 30, especially if you have a low SAC rate, or don't dive below 100', but what if your buddy needs the gas?

Most divers are put off by the idea of carrying a 40cf like a stage, because they aren't tech divers, and think it seems huge. But you get used to it really fast, and almost forget it's there after just a few dives. And when you carry it like that, you can reach the valve and the second stage with ease. I know of at least one diver who died with a full pony bottle on his back, because he couldn't reach it when he really needed it.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

putting aside the issue of bottle size (I'd have to agree it's quite small in a real emergency at depth)..... this is still an AWESOME deal IMHO as that titan reg is worth the price alone. buy it, sell the bottle for whatever and get a bigger one. I'm in josh's camp when it comes to how to mount it... so I'd be selling the mount as well.
But still thats a hell of a deal.... as there are all kinds of ways to come out on the topside with this offer.

Just my 2 psi

To the OP
I wonder... if you're looking for something smaller, what do you expect to do with it. From what depth do you hope to be able to bail out from?
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Waynne Fowler wrote:this is still an AWESOME deal IMHO as that titan reg is worth the price alone. buy it, sell the bottle for whatever and get a bigger one.
How you figure, Wayne? One can get a Titan LX (brand spankin' new in the box) for $325 in DIN, or a bit less in yoke... They're a nice reg, parts kits are fairly cheap, and they breathe well...but that's a new price in box. It's not a bad deal overall if you like pony mounts, though, as a package.

For the OP - I'd ditch the pony mount (EBay...sell it for a good price.) The 13 cf bottle makes a great argon bottle, nice and compact, and argon regs can be had for $80 new if you're so inclined. And then you can get a 19, 30, or 40 for a suitable backup bottle... any of them will suit you well if you decide to move on past the limits of recreational diving, in various capacities. All of those sizes are all easy to deal with underwater...
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
robjuge
Getting To Know Folks

Post by robjuge »

Sold