Free Fixer-Upper Dive Boat to Good Home

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Free Fixer-Upper Dive Boat to Good Home

Post by dwashbur »

This boat has loads of potential, and my best guess (no guarantees) is that some elbow grease and about $1000-2000 would have it up and going again. Unfortunately, I no longer possess that elbow grease. I've done some work on it, but I'm not going to be able to finish the project. My health has deteriorated to the point where I just can't do it.

It's a 1975 19' Bell Boy with a 175 horse V8 (pictured). It includes a depth finder and a custom-made removable dive ladder (pictured). The trailer is in good shape, and so is the hull. I really wish I could give it what it needs, but my body says otherwise.

For those who are familiar with it, this was originally Dusty2's boat. He gave it to me but I can't do it justice. So with his go-ahead, I'm passing it along. The deal: first one to pull it away gets it. I've included some photos, PM me if you want to take a closer look.

She has loads of potential. I hope you can succeed in realizing it where I couldn't. I can provide a complete list of the things that I know she needs. I just want someone to get some use out of her.
IMG_0149.JPG
The canopy is also a custom job, and is very well made. I have had no problems with leaks at all. And it's fully removable.
The canopy is also a custom job, and is very well made. I have had no problems with leaks at all. And it's fully removable.
Obviously a power washing might be in order.
Obviously a power washing might be in order.
The engine.
The engine.
The interior is weathered but solid.
The interior is weathered but solid.
I couldn't fully mount the dive ladder for this picture because the ground got too close.
I couldn't fully mount the dive ladder for this picture because the ground got too close.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Free Fixer-Upper Dive Boat to Good Home

Post by Dusty2 »

She was seaworthy the last time I took her out. The hull and floor is solid and that is full standup canvas. She handles rough water well and handles 4 divers with everything but scooters. Easy to just roll of the sides and the ladder is bayonet mounted and fits nicely in the center dash storage space.
bschnabel
Avid Diver

Post by bschnabel »

Sent you a PM, just curious as to what kind of work is required to get it seaworthy again. Very interested in taking a look at it.
jeffgerritsen
Dive-aholic

Post by jeffgerritsen »

Oh my!
A pressure washer will do her wonders, but never the less she is a project boat.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I would make an interesting dive boat...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

bschnabel wrote:Sent you a PM, just curious as to what kind of work is required to get it seaworthy again. Very interested in taking a look at it.
Looking like a helm/steering to start with...

I think this is one of those circumstances where if you have to ask its probably over your head. Perhaps not, one can always learn. The Nigel Calder books are one pretty good resource though.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
bschnabel
Avid Diver

Post by bschnabel »

Thanks for the link to the book. There is a chance I may get in over my head with this, but on the other hand I am good with mechanics and electronics. Just looking to know the basics of this boats flaws. For example electrical issues versus a cracked engine block are very different routes to go down.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

The helm is just disassembled so I could get the steering cable out. The cable is shot, but it's just a matter of replacing it and putting the helm back together in the process. The boat itself is perfectly seaworthy, the issues are mechanical things like the steering cable.
Dave

--
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

The boat has found a home.
Dave

--
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Who's the lucky winner?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

CaptnJack wrote:Who's the lucky winner?
You have a strange definition of winner...
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
jeffgerritsen
Dive-aholic

Post by jeffgerritsen »

Lucky?
I've owned three boats in the past 12 years. Maybe condolences might be in order :nervous:
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Two lucky winners! Dusty2 and Dwashbur. And the loser is........ Just joking, and maybe a little jealous.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

The winner is bschnabel. He came and got it over the weekend. And he's a winner; there's loads of potential there. I don't regret taking it; I do regret not being able to finish getting it in shape. I hope he can.
Dave

--
bschnabel
Avid Diver

Post by bschnabel »

Time will tell what will happen here. First step is to identify any potential show stoppers before sinking any money into this thing.

Hope this will be considered a "Winner"
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

bschnabel wrote:Time will tell what will happen here. First step is to identify any potential show stoppers before sinking any money into this thing.

Hope this will be considered a "Winner"

You should just give bruce higgins a call now....
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

It's got a nice Garelick four step dive ladder so that's a good start :)

So here's my 2 cents ......

Go through the boat from end to end and write down everything you need to do to the boat to get it in the condition that it needs to be to be a safe reliable boat. Go on the internet and price out all of the parts. Now estimate how many hours it will take you. Add them up and double both those figures and you may be getting close to the true cost in time and money you'll spend.

If you get past that point here's a few things to consider...

OMC, the manufacturer of the outdrive on that boat has been out of business for over 20 years. Parts can be hard or near impossible to find.

Don't forget to go meticulously through the trailer and make sure it's structurally sound. Old steel trailers that have been used in saltwater have a bad habit of rusting through.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Yeah the outdrive better be "good enough" or the whole project is waaay beyond economically viable. I suspect you can probably get a new bellows for that but not much else.

Might want to find yourself a used kicker motor on CL for when the outdrive or engine just decides its done.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I love how upbeat and encouraging you guys are...whatever you do, don't give the guy any encouragement or hint at the fun he might have once it's going. That would just be too much.
Dave

--
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

dwashbur wrote:I love how upbeat and encouraging you guys are...whatever you do, don't give the guy any encouragement or hint at the fun he might have once it's going. That would just be too much.
Please not that those of us posting negative comments all have boats, and some experience working on them...

Boat diving is awesome. But spending so much time and money working on your boat that you don't have enough of either to go diving is no good. We're all just trying to put some perspective on the luck "winner"s ambitions.

Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

And they are jealous!
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

dwashbur wrote:I love how upbeat and encouraging you guys are...whatever you do, don't give the guy any encouragement or hint at the fun he might have once it's going. That would just be too much.
I didn't mean for my comments to sound discouraging, I'm just trying to put a bit of perspective on what it will take to get a project boat up and running. It takes time, money and, more likely than not, never gets finished (although you're never really "finished" working on a boat). If he's passionate about the project then by all means go for it, but bschnabel should take a long hard look at what he's up against.

So here's the encouragement part....

I love my boat. I like boating and being out on the water almost as much as I do diving. Having a boat opens up a world of diving opportunities that doesn't exist if you just shore dive. I can't imagine doing SS-SS (same site-same shit) dives any more and wouldn't dive as much as I do if all I did was shore dives. I believe that having a boat is the single best thing that you can do to expand your diving horizons and get more enjoyment from the sport.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

BillZ wrote:I believe that having a working, reliable boat is the single best thing that you can do to expand your diving horizons and get more enjoyment from the sport.
This ^^^, with edits ;)

I love having a boat and would probably have quit diving long ago if I didn't have one. I'm on my 3rd boat here in WA.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

The engine was reliable when I had it and the outdrive worked fine also. The hull is solid and the canvas was only a couple of years old but it has sat for awhile so it will need to be cleaned and gone over thoroughly

Good luck and I hope you get her up and running again She didn't look all that bad until I got busy doing other things and just let her sit too long.
IMG_0611.JPG
Better days
bschnabel
Avid Diver

Post by bschnabel »

That picture gives me some hope! Power washing and turning the engine over by hand this weekend. Found some rust on the starboard side plugs, hopefully it will turn. Maybe start pulling parts off that need replacing and digging around in it some more. So far the only thing I have done is pull the plugs and pull all the loose items out of the boat.