Good deal on compressor

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Good deal on compressor

Post by Dusty2 »

Listed on Ebay. Bauer-Air-Compressor-FIre-Scuba-4500-psi-only-294-hours-Capitano-E-6-CFM setting at $1600.00 with 2 days left

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bauer-Air-Compr ... 1571233645
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Good deal on compressor

Post by Desert Diver »

There you go Dusty. Have you ever considered getting into diving?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Considered it but it seemed like an expensive hobby!
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Rjack -- what say you on this one? Good home compressor?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Yeah except you can't see it, run it, examine, and basically have to buy it performance unseen from WI.

I don't buy anything used and diving related off ebay because its mostly garbage and the gems are too hard to discern at a distance.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

CaptnJack wrote:Yeah except you can't see it, run it, examine, and basically have to buy it performance unseen from WI.

I don't buy anything used and diving related off ebay because its mostly garbage and the gems are too hard to discern at a distance.
IF you were buying a new compressor, where's the sweet spot of value and capability?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I have done fine with 3cfm, but you have to be patient and willing to sit in the garage a bit. Takes about 25mins to fill an hp100 (its not completely empty most of the time).

If you are impatient and have more money 5 or 6cfm is about as big as I'd want to go. 12 CFM is frequently too big for single phase power. And will take bigger more expensive filters which need to be changed even if you haven't used them up. Personally I wouldn't breath gas that hasn't been double filtered so all of those bits need to be added in.

In part it will depend on how much power (and space) you have available via your panel and in your garage. I.e. if you have a heat pump, electric stove, dryer and hot water you might not have much panel space or capacity left in your house without a major upgrade. Also how noisy you can you be relative to your neighbors?

Having bank bottles allows you to pump when you want to and refill (much faster) at other times. But you need a whole suite of them, 2 bank bottles is not really worth bothering with. I have 7 with about 2700cf of 32% in storage, most of that is not even usable since you really only use the top ~25 to 30% of a bank cylinder (the bottom % is less than the pressure in the bottle you are filling). But it does make for quick top ups when I am pressed for time.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Wow, thanks for this great info. I've got to check how much power I have, but as far as noise and neighbors, no problem there. I suffered through them building not one but TWO houses next door, sequentially. Don't give a rat's ass what noise I make from here on out.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

your 5-6cfm pumps will be in the 40amp range. If you donn't have the breaker space (all 42 used up for most), pull that one for the shop compressor or dryer circuit, and use that breaker space to make a sub panel (i.e. 1 240v 30amp breaker to a 60a, route the shop compressor/dryer and new scuba compressor through the sub-panel)... problem solved for breaker space.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You may or may not be able to legally put in a subpanel, depend on what else is taking up the rest of your typical 200 amp service. At my house I am super lucky to have separate 200 amp service with its own drop off the pole at my garage.

For one person, 3cfm fed by 240V 30amps is fine. If all your friends come over you end up sitting in the garage ALOT. And need to be mindful that smaller compressors in the 3cfm range are not rated for continuous multihour run times. More like 60-90 mins max.
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

That IS a great price so far. We'll see where it ends up. Shipping should be about $500.

This is a nice size for home use. It isn't available anymore in the US so to get a new version, you would have to go with the DiveMate = BIG BUCKS. My favorite home compressor is from Coltri (of course :) ) and is a 7CFM continuous duty machine. However, more of the little MCH6 and Junior II compressors are sold for home use because they are cheaper.