FS: Apeks Din Adapter

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
decodiver25
Aquaphile

FS: Apeks Din Adapter

Post by decodiver25 »

hey guys I have a brand new Apeks din adapter that will fit any apeks reg ranging from the xtx 20-200 series and even the atx older series regulator. Brand new the din adapter is 75.00$ I am selling it for 45.00$ obo \:D/
let me know if you guys are interested or have any questions.
When you think you know everything is actually when you know nothing...
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: FS: Apeks Din Adapter

Post by spatman »

decodiver25 wrote:hey guys I have a brand new Apeks din adapter that will fit any apeks reg ranging from the xtx 20-200 series and even the atx older series regulator. Brand new the din adapter is 75.00$ I am selling it for 45.00$ obo \:D/
let me know if you guys are interested or have any questions.
is this a din -> yoke adapter?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

It sounds like a conversion kit for changing your yoke regulator to a DIN one.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
decodiver25
Aquaphile

Post by decodiver25 »

sorry guys for not being clear...So if your regulator is a yoke style regulator and you want to convert it to din then this is the adapter you want. If you don't know how change this out yourself usually a dive can do it for you it only takes about five minutes....but yes this will change your reg to a din set up...
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

decodiver25 wrote:sorry guys for not being clear...So if your regulator is a yoke style regulator and you want to convert it to din then this is the adapter you want. If you don't know how change this out yourself usually a dive can do it for you it only takes about five minutes....but yes this will change your reg to a din set up...
Yup - it's what I thought it was. This is something best advised to have done by a professional repair technician. No need for folks to be fiddling with their life support.
decodiver25
Aquaphile

Post by decodiver25 »

I totally agree sounder, however there are some that know how to change this themselves that are experienced enough to do it. Anyway attached are some pics....
Attachments
Another pic of it...
Another pic of it...
Din Adapter
Din Adapter
decodiver25
Aquaphile

Post by decodiver25 »

oops sorry for the blurry picture....
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

thanks for the clarification.

this piece is actually a "converter", not an "adapter".
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

decodiver25 wrote:I totally agree sounder, however there are some that know how to change this themselves that are experienced enough to do it. Anyway attached are some pics....
FWIW - if you want to pop this puppy on your reg, you'll need an Apeks first stage rebuild kit to do it, as you'll need two o-rings and a conical filter, which are all consumables included in the kit. I don't see these here (and the filter+o-rings are things that should be replaced, not re-used.) Swapping this over is a good excuse to do your reg overhaul service, anyway.

The biggest problem with switching this over is that it's a PITA to find the socket that fits that Apeks yoke nut, along with a thin enough extension to drive it. It's not exactly a stocked Harbor Freight part - you'll need to either grind some other socket down, find one from a friendly supplier, or just see if you can get slip joint pliers around the yoke.

Most divers _should_ know how to do this; then again, most people should know how to do things like change the oil in their cars, too. In this case, you just have to pay attention to the torque specs, and keep your tools clean and free of grease and goo.

I _really_ don't see why people make such a big deal of regulator service and cop an alarmist attitude... Anybody with any sort of mechanical aptitude can learn to do it with a minimal amount of study, a dose of patience, and the right tools (R.I.P. PeterBuilt).
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

camerone wrote:
decodiver25 wrote:I totally agree sounder, however there are some that know how to change this themselves that are experienced enough to do it. Anyway attached are some pics....
I _really_ don't see why people make such a big deal of regulator service and cop an alarmist attitude... Anybody with any sort of mechanical aptitude can learn to do it with a minimal amount of study, a dose of patience, and the right tools (R.I.P. PeterBuilt).
The trouble is that while you have advanced divers who know how to properly service their regs, and perhaps have been doing so for a long time, you've also got divers at the other end of the spectrum who are relatively new with no understanding of how a first stage functions. They're both reading these posts, but the newer diver may read this "easy breezy" regulator conversion and decide they're capable of working on their life support because someone said it was so easy in such a casual manner. The newer divers are probably the ones who are more interested in this kind of thread anyway.

I would bet good money that the majority of divers can't explain how a first and second stage actually work. They probably can't describe and especially can't draw pictures showing the difference between a diaphram and a piston system. The merits of whether they should, or shouldn't, have to understand their equipment at this level is arguable, but that's not the point.

I can describe to you, and even draw you diagrams and pictures instructing you on how to preform a tonsillectomy. It's actually an incredibly simple procedure and is routinely done. Frankly, it's nothing you couldn't do for your own family member, or even just do on yourself. Moreover, I'd argue that performing a tonsillectomy is less technical than servicing a first stage. I'm not a doctor, and I've never played one on TV, but I could easily preform this procedure - it's simple and anyone with a basic understanding of anatomy should be able to do it with minimal instruction. Heck, you can find the step-by-step procedure for it online... so who's up first? Dr. Sounder is open for business! :pale:

If you're going to service your own regs, you had better know what you're doing. There are classes for this, or you can do what I do, and take it to someone who services regulators professionally. Either way, you're accepting the risk of something being wrong and failing at depth... I certainly trust Dan at NWSD a WHOLE LOT MORE than I trust myself when it comes to my life support. What is the risk of a serious malfunction worth to you? Either way it could fail, sure, but I bet all things being equal, my repairs would fail a LOT more than Dan's would!

My example is a bit extreme, but the hazards of a botched procedure with tonsils or a regulator conversion/repair are fairly similar. In either case, if you experience a problem you can go to a doctor, or go to your dive buddy, but wouldn't it have been a better idea to allow a professional to do the procedure in the first place?

Bottom line, if you haven't been trained on how to work on your regulators and other life support systems, hire a pro to do it. The $25 you save will seem like it would have been a good investment when you're freeflowing at depth due to a botched home-job.

Some people use the rug doctor, but I use Dan, "the reg doctor!" Rimshot! #-o :dontknow:
decodiver25
Aquaphile

Post by decodiver25 »

here is another pic of the din adapter with all of the parts showing...it comes with all the pieces needed. You do not have to buy a rebuild kit to install it. Just take it to the local dive shop and they will get it done for ya quick no problems....
Attachments
all parts come with
all parts come with