Just casting my line

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Just casting my line

Post by Norris »

Hello people,
I just want to throw this out there. I am really interested in getting a BC. This is what I decided would be my first purchase. Now rest assured that I have heard the people say. "Rent, don't buy until you know what you want." Well I cannot afford that. The shop I go to costs about 90.00 for a day of rentals. I'll be able to dive more if I can at least acquire a BC, and regulator; right away. These are somewhat expensive to rent.
I have all my exposure gear and such so at this time I need only rent BC, Regulator, cylinders. If anyone has a decent deal on any of this I am not above using gear which is not TOP OF THE LINE.
If I buy a regulator I will get it serviced/inspected right away (life line). BC i'll take what I can get as the rentals are not "top of the line" and they work fine for me. I am just on a strict budget as mentioned in other posts, and I really want to dive as often as I can. I just cannot afford to dive every weekend as I would like to, and if I can locate minimal gear, I know that I could.

Just food for thought. If you can help please PM me.

p.s. My wife and I do not buy things on credit. We have one credit card for emergencies but have sworn against paying interest for stuff, in case anyone was wondering why I just don't finance.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
BillZ
Aquanaut

Re: Just casting my line

Post by BillZ »

Hi Norris,
Here's a guy in your neck of the woods (Marrysville) who is selling off all of his gear.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gear-e ... -gear.html
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

My former main dive buddy has stopped diving (we both started ww kayaking) but where i came back to the diving...he has not.

He said he would sell any of his 3 scuba tanks for $30-$35 each. I think only one is in hydro. Otherwise, count on additional approx $35 to make them current. I don't know going rates for used Catalina Alum 80 tanks, but $70 seems decent for usable tank. Let me know if interested, I might be heading to Seattle to dive around first weekend in December. Maybe. I can bring up with me if I do.

I also have two older dive lights. Nothing like the fancy stuff out now. Kinda like a 25watt bulb when you are around all those "other" high powered lights (that cost $400 and up!). $20 might be a fair price for one of them, but don't want to push it on you.
shell

(like you, we don't use credit cards either so understand completely)
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I am very much interested in 2 of the cylinders and shoot I'll be happy to take a light off you for that price. Just let me know when you are on your way and we will exchange numbers and meet up. Thanks a lot for the reply!

Rick
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I'll take the 3rd AL80
Richard
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

Here is the deets on the tanks. I told him that I will bring to seattle next time I am diving up there. So I will just post to this thread when I am coming up there and first responders who can meet me willl get the tanks...

$35 each.
They're black, blue, and clear (aluminum). The black one is in great
shape, the blue has a few specks missing in the paint job, and the
aluminum has the natural oxidizing as expected in parts of the bare
aluminum. It's kinda neat looking, but that's my opinion. Overall
they've been taken very good care of. The black and alum ones are very
young, probably less than ten years old and haven't been used in the
last 4 years or so.
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Well make sure that you let me know as I am certainly down for two. The Black and Blue ones would be my request. I assure you that when you want to meet I will make it happen.

:smt038
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I had an early PM in for the aluminum one. Hope I was quick enough!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Considering the demand I can just take one.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

OK...here is what I will do
Norris, you get first pick. Do you want blue or black? (first reply)
Sounder, you get second pick. (second email/reply)
Cap'n Jack, if you want the last one..it is yours if you want it. (45 seconds slower than Sounder, so you get third place).

If spatman is coming up, he might be willing to be a donkey and bring them up (I expect you to buy him beverages for his kindness), otherwise lets hope y'all see me early December as I bring holiday cheer.

Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Lets go with black and I am offering my services for beverage purchase. I got this folks!!!
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

What size BC are you looking for?
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Im 5'10" AND A HALF!

Some styles of Large have fit but I find the xl are perfect. Someone has one they are allowing me to try this weekend and thanks alot for the help folks. I was a little bummed when trying to establish the time between having nothing and having all my equipment and that is getting much shorter now.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Samson

Post by Samson »

One word.....

Ebay..... You cannot beat the prices if you shop.... I purchased all 3 of my BCD's which are all new for less than 150.00 apiece.... my regs, complete with octos and UPD are all 100-150... all certified.....

As most on here will tell you,... there are tons of people out there that buy stuff and then never dive.... you can get stuff at unbelievable prices......

Samson-
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Thanks samson yeah Im watcing craigslist and ebay pretty much all day. (dont tell my boss).
IM ON A MISSION!
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

Hey folks, there might be one tank left avail. maybe.

Captnjack...I emailed you about the Blue tank, but I haven't heard if you wanted it.
Email me here or pm by 330pm whether you wanted the tank, otherwise it goes up for grabs as listed below.

If the silver one is not available, then the blue one will be offered to Sounder first. If he doesn't want it, then Norris gets second crack at it. If he doesn't want it, then I might just cut it in half and make a gong out of it for my front porch.

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Remind me of the hydro-date on the blue one?
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

all I know is what is listed here. sorry.

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Thanks! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the aluminum one, and if it's not available, for the blue one.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Ill bring some extra money tomorrow just in case.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**