Searching for Actively diving tech instructors.

Looking to do your DM or Instructorship or taking your skills to the next level with Essentials, Fundamentals, or Intro to Tech training? Post here.
json
Aquaphile

Searching for Actively diving tech instructors.

Post by json »

Looking to take my diving to the next level. I have completed the advanced nitrox and deco procedures (TDI) and am looking for a active tech instructor for the next steps forward. If possible it would be great to do a pre class dive/training discussion prior to starting class. I had a list of instructors on here but cannot find what thread it was in, probably my novice ability with forum boards. Anyway just throwing it out there before i start cursing shops. Thanks in advanced.
Procastination is like masterbaition,it's all good until you realize your only screwing yourself!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Searching for Actively diving tech instructors.

Post by spatman »

Here's the thread with the list of instructors. I thought it had been a sticky in Diving Education, but it wasn't. It is now.

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9126
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Four tech instructors I know that are actively doing technical diving (not to say that there aren't others) are Brian Wiederspan (read his report here on his recent dive on Galloping Gertie), Scott Christopher (who is actively diving wrecks in the lake), and John Sanders.

I did my Tech 1 with Brian, and I can say he is thorough, focused on what's productive, and fair. I thought I got a very good class for my money. Peter did his tech training with Scott, and was very happy with it. John I only know by reputation, but that reputation is good.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

Thank you spatman.
Procastination is like masterbaition,it's all good until you realize your only screwing yourself!
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

LCF wrote:Four tech instructors I know that are actively doing technical diving (not to say that there aren't others) are Brian Wiederspan (read his report here on his recent dive on Galloping Gertie), Scott Christopher (who is actively diving wrecks in the lake), and John Sanders.

I did my Tech 1 with Brian, and I can say he is thorough, focused on what's productive, and fair. I thought I got a very good class for my money. Peter did his tech training with Scott, and was very happy with it. John I only know by reputation, but that reputation is good.
I need to set up a time to talk to Brain. I think correct me if I'm wrong but you can start training at your current skill level and not have to start from the beginning?
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Marc Pyle (Spartan Diving) is also getting out and about on tech dives. One of my dive buddies is currently taking the start of the tech series from him and is quite pleased. I have dove with him personally and he is solid as a rock. I would recommend him to anyone.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

ljjames wrote:Marc Pyle (Spartan Diving) is also getting out and about on tech dives. One of my dive buddies is currently taking the start of the tech series from him and is quite pleased. I have dove with him personally and he is solid as a rock. I would recommend him to anyone.

I trained through Scott for my tech 1 and 2, and he is very thorough. Marc got his instructor through Scott and is VERY good.

Tacoma Scuba also instructs Tech through TDI.

D
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I wasn't sure if Marc had finished his tech instructor training, and I started to put him on the list and took him off because I didn't know (thus the "four" in my post, followed by three names!). Marc's an excellent diver and I would imagine a very good teacher, as well.

I'm pretty sure UTD allows crossovers at your current level, with instructor approval. It was one of the big differences between UTD and GUE, when UTD first formed.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

Spartan diving is based out of the Tacoma area? Aldo i have been in Tacoma scuba a handful of times and it seemed like the dropped their tech program, but i didn't pursue the subject with them. Would be nice to continue TDI classes route but not a must.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Ron Akeson of Adventures Down Under in Bellingham is an excellent tech instructor. He is TDI, and a very active technical diver. He's usually willing to come South to teach, too. Dives are usually done at Muk.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

json wrote:Spartan diving is based out of the Tacoma area? Aldo i have been in Tacoma scuba a handful of times and it seemed like the dropped their tech program, but i didn't pursue the subject with them. Would be nice to continue TDI classes route but not a must.
Marc works out of any area, North or South. He is "Blitz" on here if you want to ask him questions.
As far as Tacoma Scuba, it hasn't been dropped. Talk to Joshua about it. He will let you know when the next class is planned.

D
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

Thanks to all who have contributed, I have some good leads to follow up on.