New to group. Want to get back into diving!

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
CRDnudibranch
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

New to group. Want to get back into diving!

Post by CRDnudibranch »

Hello, I'm Charlie.

I got into diving after getting certified through a class at Oregon State University. I was getting a biology degree with a marine focus so it seemed like a good investment of time and money to learn how to dive. I got most of the gear for it, just need weights, a tank, and a regulator. But then COVID hit as soon as I graduated and I was always too nervous to try and find dive buddies online. But I really miss diving even though I didn't get to do much past my certification dives.

I'm in a bit of a mobile state looking for long term work so I don't know where I'll be in a few months time, but I'm currently living on Camano Island so I'd easily be able to do some dives around Whidbey Island or Anacortes. I did my certification dives in Hood canal so I have about as much cold water diving experience as I have diving experience in general. Speaking of which it has been a few years since my last dive, so a refresher course would be a good idea. I didn't want to do it though until I knew I had some buddies to dive with. The main two things on my diving bucket list are that I want to see a wolf eel, and I want to dive a kelp forest.

Hope to meet some friends on here. Thanks for making a welcoming atmosphere to encourage people like me to join.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: New to group. Want to get back into diving!

Post by YellowEye »

Welcome!

Your two closest sites would be Keystone and Mukilteo. Both often have small wolfeels! Keystone sometimes has kelp (its a little slow this year though). We don't have large kelp forests here but there are some small kelp patches I would say, out in the San Juans and beyond. Great stuff!

Anacortes dive shop is a pretty good shop, and they're one of the few shops to take divers to Keystone (one of the best dives in the state.. but its current sensitive). There are likely less pricy shops closer to Muk.

Get your refresher and I'm sure people would take you out. My buddies often go to Keystone for example and I think there are crews that hit Muk weekly.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!