Moving to Olympia

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
ChrisG
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Moving to Olympia

Post by ChrisG »

Hey everyone, I'm Chris. After spending almost 10 years away from home, I'm moving back to Olympia in about a month. I'm looking forward to living somewhere where I can dive close to home. I'm a cold-water rookie, so I think my first task is to take a dry suit course and gearing up for the temps and limited vis that the Puget Sound offers. Most of my dive experience is in warmer locations and a few mountain lakes and hot springs so it'll take some getting used to. I don't really know anyone up here in WA anymore, so I'm looking forward to meeting some good dive buddies.
boydski
Submariner

Re: Moving to Olympia

Post by boydski »

Hi Chris,

Welcome to NW Dive Club and to Olympia! There are two dive shops in Olympia that would be happy to help with a Dry Suit. I'd also suggest you hook up with the Kelp Krawlers Dive Club, which meets the third Tuesday of every month. A club dive would be a good place to get your feet wet at some of our amazing local dive sites.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Welcome to the club Chris. This is the place to meet dive buddies and get connected with diving the sound. There is allot of activity in the south sound and also the hood canal and several club members live in the Oly area.
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Welcome to the club Chris. I think you will find it a good place for networking and getting into the cold waters of Puget Sound.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Welcome aboard Chris.. good to have ya home again!!!!!! You'll have no shortage of dive buddies in the local Olympia area. I suggest you take Scott Boyd's advice and hit the Kelp Krawlers meeting, they're a great group of folks, ranging in experience from the very new to the 'seasoned old salts'. You're sure to have a great time with friends you just haven't met yet.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
ChrisG
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by ChrisG »

Thanks guys. I'll be sure to check out the Kelp Krawlers when I get into town.
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

Welcome Chris! I love this board for hookin up with buddies last minute. I'm in Oly and dive several days a week if I can help it. I dive mostly the canal but I'm trying to get More folks out to Tolmie in OLY. Feel free to pm me When you need a dive mate. Good viz is goin so better get in the water soon.
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

Hi Chris and Welcome. As you can tell, there are quite a few of us in the Oly area. I'm always up for a dive on Thursdays and weekends.

-James
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

ChrisG wrote:Thanks guys. I'll be sure to check out the Kelp Krawlers when I get into town.
It was good to meet ya Chris... looking forward to droppin in the water with you some time soon. :boucegreen: :supz:
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy