New in Newport

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Saltwaterdog
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

New in Newport

Post by Saltwaterdog »

Hello NW Divers.
Glad to have found you! I am looking for dive buddies in the Newport area. I am newly certified with PADI and have my own gear (minus dive wetsuit yet). Eager to do meet some other salt water lovers and do some local dives!
Attachments
deep-.jpg
deep-.jpg (10.02 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: New in Newport

Post by Tom Nic »

Welcome Salty Dog! Glad you found your way to our humble abode.

There are quite a few Oregon divers on this board, and I'm sure you'll find no shortage or divers from down your way.

Hope to see you up diving the sound some time!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

Welcome from a fellow Oregonian, I live just over the hill in Salem and am anxious to learn the local Oregon coast too.
Cheers!

Ron
brihno
Avid Diver

Post by brihno »

When buying a wetsuit I would recommend a semi dry or one piece with a hood for diving on our lovely coast. I have a 2 piece 7mm farmer john with a separte hood and I can tell you that even with careful management of the bib I often get a nice cold wakeup shot of water down the spine while diving. I think the less wet you get the more comfortable you will be on your second dive which is why I recommend the semi dry. If you can afford it go for a dry suit though. I am envious of myt buddies ability to be dry and warm during surface intervals.

Right now I have to lay on the engine cover of the boat I normally dive off of to get warmed up between dives.

Sorry for the ramble; I just thought you might find those observations useful from someone who wishes eh'd spent a little more and at least gotten the semi-dry suit.

Have fun at newport; I hear the fishing is pretty good up there!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Wwelcome to the board Saltwaterdog !
Love the screen name and Avatar!
Yeah, you should come up to Hood Canal, vis is great right now!
And if your ever in the area on a Thursday send me a PM or keep an eye on the dive planning section.
I'll give you a tour of one or two of our local dive sites.

Keith
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

Hey Saltwaterdog,

Welcome to the club and the sport :). I am about 45 minutes east of you in Corvallis. I try to make it out to the coast whenever I get the chance and I also dive up in Washington fairly regularly. I'll drop you a message with my contact information and we can try to coordinate for some Oregon coast dives in the future.

Take care,
Aaron
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Welcome to the club. I dive a lot. PM if interested in coming along sometime.
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Tom Nic's comment made me think of this bluegrass song. So, this is my BIG DIVE WELCOME TO YOU!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcKsI27t ... re=related[/youtube]
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS