hello

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

hello

Post by spudgunman »

Hello board!

new diver for about a week now with 10 dives (~300min 105FtMax) under my belt, just got cert with PADI in the bahamas. haven't had any dives in the nw yet. Born and live in king county. Found the site from NWGreatfullDiver(Bob) and wanted to have a resource to learn more diving in the NW. The Wife also got certed with me so I need to know as much as I can to convince her to get into non 80degF water!

Looking to start off collecting some gear as well but that will come after some talking with local divers (Bob was nice to get me a jump start conversation) looking forward to crabbing/ scallops etc. I would like to get my SAR work done as well, for the safety of my buddies and possible work with KCSAR some day. I really enjoy just sitting and watching stuff under water also still perfecting my weight and buoyancy getting good but want to be better. I also really like wreck and want to get some cave dives in some day!

Otherwise I also do Ham Radio and work on 79 and older Ford trucks
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Re: hello

Post by BASSMAN »

Welcome Spudgunman!
Oh man, once you get a taste of some NW diving and you can get comfortable w/ the cold water and less than perfect vis?
You will be addicted in no time! This board is the perfect place to find buddies to dive with. Let me know if your available on Thursdays and I'll give you a few tours of a couple of the south end dive sites. no need to get a dry suit right away. a good 7 mill farmer john style wet suit will work okay for the summer. Just remember to bring some hot water in a water cooler, for your Surface Intervals.
Renting a 7 mill is also an option, so you can get in the water soon!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

Thanks I will do that, the more experience I can get from others the faster I get into it! I dont like to learn on my own trial and error when I can gleen advice from others that have been there and done that!

I already am addicted haha! mainly because its finally one hobby I think my wife and I can share!

I have a friend who just went dry and he said that he didnt notice anything different from the wet to dry in terms of temp other then the surface where obviously he isnt wet in the wind

good tip for the warm water!, I cant wait to get started!
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

Welcome to the boards!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

spudgunman wrote: I have a friend who just went dry and he said that he didnt notice anything different from the wet to dry in terms of temp other then the surface where obviously he isnt wet in the wind
... I double-dog-dare him to wear his wetsuit in December ... :eek:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
disappearinjon
Frequent Bubbler

Post by disappearinjon »

Grateful Diver wrote:
spudgunman wrote: I have a friend who just went dry and he said that he didnt notice anything different from the wet to dry in terms of temp other then the surface where obviously he isnt wet in the wind
:hah: I've absolutely worn my wetsuit in December. And it's perfectly comfortable so long as you're in the water. The SI is rough, though not as rough as changing out of the wetsuit at the end of the dive!
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

With a name like "spudgunman" sounds like you already have one interesting past-time! So, do you have a spudgun model that will work under water yet? :smt064
- you at least have the advantage of living in some of the best diving in the PNW!

Welcome! :taco:
Cheers!

Ron
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Hi Spud, welcome to NWDC!
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

disappearinjon wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:
:hah: I've absolutely worn my wetsuit in December. And it's perfectly comfortable so long as you're in the water. The SI is rough, though not as rough as changing out of the wetsuit at the end of the dive!
I wore mine starting in Jan. out here and fully agree... It's the SI and change @ the end that are the tough parts... Though I admit I just got my dry suit going.... :taco:

Almost forgot... Welcome to the Club Spudgunman!!!
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

guitarmaker wrote:With a name like "spudgunman" sounds like you already have one interesting past-time! So, do you have a spudgun model that will work under water yet? :smt064
- you at least have the advantage of living in some of the best diving in the PNW!

Welcome! :taco:
thanks guys! I hope to finally get on the water Thursday if all goes well!

not under water for the gun but given some ammo changes it would actually work quite well I mean I do float around with 3kPSI of air right? that makes for some good power for some more water appropriate ammo

I thinks a potato would just be messy or uneventfull!
Kelly(boy)
_____
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

Shouldn't that be "in" the water, sir?

Give me a holler if you need a dive buddy or could stand another around Whidbey!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

will do (also following up with PM)
Kelly(boy)
_____