Hi! - another newbie intro

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
umtirigane
Just Settling In

Hi! - another newbie intro

Post by umtirigane »

Hi,
I am another person living in the Astoria, Oregon area. We moved here three years ago from Florida. I have yet to dive recreationally in the PNW, but have had the pleasure of the odd work dive over the past year in the Columbia River estuary.

I am getting laid off soon, and looking to do some recreational diving now that I (hope to ) have some time before we move away from the area next summer.

About me.... first got certified in 1994 as part of a lifeguarding job through CMAS in Switzerland.
Currently: Marine scientist, PADI-DM, scientific (AAUS) diver since 1997 (though that is job/institution dependent so won't be current much longer).

:)

greta
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Hi! - another newbie intro

Post by Tom Nic »

Welcome to the board Greta!

There are lots of Oregon divers represented here - hope to see you in the water sometime!

-Tom Nic
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

welcome to the boards!

What's with all the new Oregon divers??

Nonetheless, drop me a line should you ever make it up north to Whidbey!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
umtirigane
Just Settling In

Post by umtirigane »

Another note:

I would definitely consider myself a cold water novice. New to the gear (don't actually own most of it - can borrow from my old employer almost any time), the temps, all the weight, etc... I probably have less than 15 dry dives under my belt and 8 of those were work (WAY overweighted).
So... I probably would need to dive with someone with a bit of patience at first while I get weight and other things under control.

I got my dry suit certification while living in FL, in 75 degree water - which at the time I thought was unbearably cold. Need I say more?
Obviously since diving the Columbia River estuary, I have come around somewhat, but still am not sure of everything I would need for a pleasure dive.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Howdy Greta. You'll find plenty of folks in your area willing to help you get acclimated to our waters. And if you get up toward the area between tacoma and seattle, drop me a line and we can show you around here, too.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Hi Greta, welcome. Despite diving around here for eons I just recently jointed NWDC myself.

I saw your interest in GUE classes/workshops on another thread and although I don't have any information about upcoming classes, I've taken a lot of classes with GUE. If you anticipate taking a class and would like to do some diving prior to it, just know that I'm open and willing to go dive! There is also a gal in Portland who I know would love to find some OR DIR dive buddies.

You'll really love the diving up here. Have fun!
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Welcome Greta!
You will have no shortage of patient dive buddies Down in Oregon or up here in Washington. This board is full of active divers ready willing and able to help you get wet behind the ears.

Keith
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
umtirigane
Just Settling In

Post by umtirigane »

seainggreen wrote:Hi Greta, welcome. Despite diving around here for eons I just recently jointed NWDC myself.

I saw your interest in GUE classes/workshops on another thread and although I don't have any information about upcoming classes, I've taken a lot of classes with GUE. If you anticipate taking a class and would like to do some diving prior to it, just know that I'm open and willing to go dive! There is also a gal in Portland who I know would love to find some OR DIR dive buddies.

You'll really love the diving up here. Have fun!
Thanks! I am pretty sure I will be diving before I take a class. - so will definitely keep you posted. I would be interested in buddying up with your friend in Portland too, if she's interested. Everything is really far away from where I live, so I can't be very spontaneous (unless anyone wants to dive in the columbia river estuary, which I do NOT recommend), but I am looking forward to all of this!
umtirigane
Just Settling In

Post by umtirigane »

Thanks to everyone else too!
I have family in Tacoma and near Seattle, so it definitely is possible that I come up some Friday night and stay the weekend.
Just not very flexible during the week with a kindergartner and a preschooler (and coast guard spouse).