Grunt Sculpins/Lumpsuckers/Stubby Squids in Oregon waters?

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
AquaticEngineer
Frequent Bubbler

Grunt Sculpins/Lumpsuckers/Stubby Squids in Oregon waters?

Post by AquaticEngineer »

Hi there, I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

My name is Stu, and I'm a complete newb to diving. Done lots of tide pooling, a little snorkeling and free diving, but never taken the plunge to get dive certified. Hoping to do so in the next 6 months to a year at most. I thought this might be a good place to start gathering info at :D

I will have many questions I'm sure, but one thing I cannot seem to confirm is if Grunt Sculpins are found anywhere south of Puget Sound? Most of the scientific refferences list them as occuring from Alaska to Baja, but I am curious if anyone has ever found one while diving off of the Oregon coast.

With 3 kids it'll be unlikely that I'll be able to make the drive to the Sound to dive except on rare occasions, but the oregon coast is only a little over an hour or so from me.

*Edited Title* - Also trying to find Spiny Lumpsuckers and Stubby Squid.
Last edited by AquaticEngineer on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Re: Newb trying to find Grunt Sculpins in Oregon waters.

Post by -Aaron- »

Hmm, well unfortunately, I can't remember specifically whether I have seen a Grunt Sculpin in Oregon. Most of my diving in Oregon lately has been offshore, I haven't seen any out there. If I was to take a guess my thought would be the best chance to see one would probably be a more protected area of the shoreline. I'd suggest the jetty at Netarts (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=45.430157 ... 6&t=h&z=17). Not guaranteeing you will see one, but it seems like the best conditions for it and you will probably see some other cool macro life out there if you don't. Basically you just get in the water down the hill from the bathrooms and just east of the boat ramp and then follow the jetty wall east out and west back. They prefer that you don't enter or exit at the boat ramp and I think there is a few dollar parking fee. Note they have a restaurant and little picnic area there, so will probably be a decent choice to take the family along, 3 Arch Rocks is just up the road.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

I have seen grunt sculpins in Tillamook Bay along the jetty when the tide was cooperating. They are pretty well camouflaged though and can be hard to spot unless you look but they are definitely out there. There is the Barview Jetty Campground Right by the Tillamook Bay north jetty so if your family likes camping and the tides are right it's a great place to do a camping / diving trip. Three Graces dive site is another shore dive nearby.

Barview Campground: http://www.co.tillamook.or.us/gov/parks/Campgrounds.htm

Info about Barview Jetty and Three Graces dive sites: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_We ... /index.htm
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

Welp, don't know if they are in Oregon. You've got some good suggestions, though. I've seen 'em with my own eyes at Redondo, Sund Rock, and... elsewhere but I can't say for certain and can't find the photo to match the date w/ the trip in my log book. :)

Here's the lovely I saw last just recently at Sund Rock. In the shallows; he was actually kinda big for what I'd seen before, and I spied him a few feet away; saw something orange under a wave of kelp in a very sandy area and he stood out like crazy. When I went over to see what the orange flair was, I about swallowed my reg when I lifted the kelp and there he was in all his glory.

Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
AquaticEngineer
Frequent Bubbler

Thanks for all the input and suggestions :D

One of the spots I was anticipating seeing them at was right about where you all suggested. The stretch between Netarts bay up to Barview jetty in Tillamook. I was planning on exploring the area around Three Arch Rocks and Cape Meares. I figured between the amount of Giant Acorn Barnacles and the sandy bottoms in the area that would be my best chance.

I also found references that list one of the Grunt Sculpins only known predators as the Pigeon Guillemot, and their breeding grounds happen to be Three Arch Rocks National Wildlife Refuge.

Wish me luck :D

Now does anyone know a good Oregon location to find Pacific Spiny Lumpsuckers or Rossia Pacifica? ( AKA: Stubby Squid, Bobtail Squid)
Blaiz
Pelagic

Re: Grunt Sculpins/Lumpsuckers/Stubby Squids in Oregon water

Post by Blaiz »

*quick derail*

interesting about the pigeon guillemot eating grunties. the old pilings at keystone are a haven for guillemot but the only grunt i've seen in the area is the one ann found the other week
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
AquaticEngineer
Frequent Bubbler

Re: Grunt Sculpins/Lumpsuckers/Stubby Squids in Oregon water

Totally random thought, but it may a while before I can buck up and pay for dive classes and gear.

What places along the coast would you all suggest as shallow snorkeling worthy areas to look for these critters?\

I'm picking up my wetsuit, fins, mask and snorkel for xmas ( gift to myself/ 1st business expense) and I was thinking of checking out some areas around Tillamook bay and Netarts Bay.

Last time I went with chest waders and a couple of buddies at night out near Garibaldi and we found tons of Pipefish, a Juvenile GPO, several nice looking Penpoint gunnels (reds and greens), Saddle back gunnels, Tubesnouts, Mating Pairs of Cockcombs. Everything is doing great in my tanks with the exception of the Tubesnouts, which unfortunately became food for one of the larger Rock Pricklebacks I have.