Not even a wet duck yet.

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Not even a wet duck yet.

Post by Jeff Pack »

Hi Everyone. Was pointed to this board by a current member.

Haven't been wet (until just recently) in over 30 years. Decided to get a bunch of snorkeling equipment for a Tahiti/Rarotonga trip we recently took (August). The first day in the water was odd, but by the end of trip I was right back at home.

While I'm not dive certified yet, I will be by middle of October. The snorkeling trip gave me the dive bug back again.. :)

For now, I'm looking over the boards, and seeing how equipment/technology has changed since my old days in the water.

Dry Suits, regulators, and dive computers now... :)

Figure next purchase will be a dry suit (I'm looking at the Whites Fusion tech Skin), no idea on regulators yet, and a Zeagle Express tech BC (I'm kind of a minimalist when it comes to equipment).

Anyways, look forward to reading more on this site.
Last edited by Jeff Pack on Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Re: Not even a wet duck yet.

Post by RoxnDox »

Welcome! Where are you at?

Jim (ex-USAF, recently retransplanted to the Tacoma area, novice diver) :spatman:
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Wagon173
Avid Diver

Post by Wagon173 »

Jeff, Cant give ya much advice on a drysuit but I dove a zeagle tech for a long time. Infact I believe I'm wearing it in my avatar shot and It's a great bc! However it's expensive and can't actually be used in a tech class. They made me get a backplate and harness style bc. If you're a minimalist though, backplate is the way to go! There is NOTHING to it! And you'll probably spend a buck fifty less on it than a new zeagle! Maybe I'm just a space cadet, but one problem I did have with the zeagle was weight! 1: it was easy on mine to pull the emergency weight drop thingie. 2: I had a nack for snagging on the zippers and opening the weight pockets without noticing until I felt myself lose balance lol and 3: you can change the wing, but I'm cheap and mine came with a 50 pound wing :O Welcome back to the club though man! Good luck!
If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid!
jimmyz19
Getting To Know Folks

Post by jimmyz19 »

Nice to see you over here Jeff.

Its starting to look like we could have a "military" page, retired Navy here. LOL
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Welcome, As an ex navy seal you are allot more than a wet duck but you have allot of catching up to do gear wise. Dive gear has evolved enormously in the time you have been gone.

No worries though there are allot of ex military people here as well as lots of very experienced divers willing to help get you back into the addiction.
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

*snort* all of you ex navy people, y'all leave the navy area

come dive up at whidbey once you get certified, Jeff!

(I'm not Navy, just their bitch)
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

thx everyone, sorry for the belated reply.

I was fortunate to get hooked with a guy on another board, as he dropped by a bunch of stuff for me to try for awhile. Sadly he has a some service related issues forcing him out of diving (Agent Orange-heart issues), so we're working out a trade. (Zeagle ZX50, ScubaPro BCD, Vyper Computer, and a few other odd'n'ends).
Last edited by Jeff Pack on Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

RoxnDox wrote:Welcome! Where are you at?

Jim (ex-USAF, recently retransplanted to the Tacoma area, novice diver) :spatman:
Puyallup. Lemme fix my profile.

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I think you'll be happy with the Fusion with the Tech skin. Don't get the Bullet! I've had a Fusion for over four years now, and I'm very happy with it. Consider getting the SiTech neck ring system -- it rocks. I'm very ambivalent about the quick-change wrist seals, though. They seriously limit your options for dry gloves.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

Welcome! Oh, so exciting, to be cracking open this Pandora's Box of modern scuba-ness! As you no doubt already see, there are many options, and most will work for most people, but we all find our favorites, what we hate, and what we think everyone else should use. ;)

I'm a big fan of the White's drysuits; I have one and have abused it quite well and it continues to serve. I'm lustfully eying a BARE as my next suit (HD or SD... can't decide...), but if you're looking for an inexpensive suit to get started, check out the ScubaPro EverDry4 (whole setup for $999 -- suit, boots, undergarment, bag).

I advise people on scuba gear purchases the same way I advise on entering motorcycling: don't buy the bike of your dreams the day you get your license. Get something basic that will serve you well. By the time you use that up, you'll KNOW what you want/need to graduate up to, and you'll feel a sense of accomplishment in having done so. AND... in the case of scuba gear you will automatically have a backup that you are well versed in that you can use for yourself, or offer to others in case of need.

Welcome, and enjoy!
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

lavachickie wrote:don't buy the bike of your dreams the day you get your license. Get something basic that will serve you well. By the time you use that up, you'll KNOW what you want/need to graduate up to, and you'll feel a sense of accomplishment in having done so. AND... in the case of scuba gear you will automatically have a backup that you are well versed in that you can use for yourself, or offer to others in case of need.
Good Advise!
Welcome, Jeff Pack! :highfive:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

While I appreciate the dont buy the best now, so has my local motorcycle dealers, car dealers, and other shops as well :)

Too often I've compromised, and wind up with it, or close to it in the end anyways.

Buying a better drysuit, regs,etc wont kill you like jumping first bike on a yammie R1,or big Ducati 1L bike.

But ask me a year from now, and feel free to reserve the right to say "I told you so" :)