New to Seattle area

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Mortuus
Amphibian

New to Seattle area

Post by Mortuus »

I've been visiting Seattle for the last two years because I have family up here, so I have managed to go on one MMM dive, but that is it. I recently made the decision to move up to the area, and will now be located here full time, so I would love to dive more in the Sound. I have 62 dives under my belt, but most of them have been in the tropics, so I still am a noob at diving in conditions like those in the Sound. I am also PADI Rescue, Nitrox and Deep certified.

Based on what I've seen, I'm a relatively young diver for the Puget Sound area. Im only 19 (20 in 5 days). I would love to meet other divers my age, but that doesnt mean I dont want to dive with you if you are not my age. Actually, I dont believe I've ever dove with someone as young as me. One of these days I want (no, need) to go tech diving. That however will be some time down the road when I feel like I am way more experienced.

One last thing..... anyone know of any divers out there who are also metalheads? I would be very curious to know if I am the only one out there, because to me, it seems like sort of an odd combination of interests :supz:
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Re: New to Seattle area

Post by oldsalt »

If you aren't predujiced against old guys, I would dive with you. Mostly Mukilteo/Edmonds/North. MMM is a good initiation.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I am a metalhead, but I suspect our definitions differ, as metalhead is also used for a machinist in the nw.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Dammit, I'm an older guy and I like nothing but showtunes. And by showtunes I mean Sanford and Son, Rockford Files, and Whats Happening, now THOSE are showtunes.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

New to Seattle area

Post by Jeremy »

Are you a machinist Jeff?
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

More like mangler of metal..

Having raced car and motorycles, as well as built off road vehicles, a well stocked machine shop is rather a necessity.

I have a Lagun FT2 Vert Mill on a VFD, my Grizzly small mill (now just a power drill press with x/y table feed) Jet 13x40 Gear Head Lathe, several grinders, Big belt grinder, metal bandsaw, horiz/vert cut off bandsaw, several surface tables, 2 Lincoln Mig welders, optical comparator, alot of precision inspection items.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hmmm... Probably technically not a metal head, but does liking some of Amon Amarth's videos count? How about an appreciation of synchronized head banging / hair swinging? How about knowing what Amon Amarth means? :)

How about having gone to three Led Zeppelin shows in the late 70's and not being able to remember them very well?

Oh well, I guess I'll embrace my current old fart diver status and head bang when no one is looking... :)

But I'd still love to dive with you someday!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

any metal heads on this board would have an avatar with their long hair and tons of piercings showing, tho.. I'd avoid them as those kids are usually creepy. :neener:
Mortuus wrote:I've been visiting Seattle for the last two years because I have family up here, so I have managed to go on one MMM dive, but that is it. I recently made the decision to move up to the area, and will now be located here full time, so I would love to dive more in the Sound. I have 62 dives under my belt, but most of them have been in the tropics, so I still am a noob at diving in conditions like those in the Sound. I am also PADI Rescue, Nitrox and Deep certified.

Based on what I've seen, I'm a relatively young diver for the Puget Sound area. Im only 19 (20 in 5 days). I would love to meet other divers my age, but that doesnt mean I dont want to dive with you if you are not my age. Actually, I dont believe I've ever dove with someone as young as me. One of these days I want (no, need) to go tech diving. That however will be some time down the road when I feel like I am way more experienced.

One last thing..... anyone know of any divers out there who are also metalheads? I would be very curious to know if I am the only one out there, because to me, it seems like sort of an odd combination of interests :supz:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hey, wait a minute! I could post a picture of myself in my Senior year of high school if I can find one.

That's what we need, a 'make your high school year book pic your avatar' day... or not.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

I do believe he was referring to those who have Job for a Cowboy, Children of Bhodom, As I Lay Dying and Cannibal Corpse in their iPods, not those who have a well stocked machine shop (although, that is a darn impressive list ya got there)
Jeff Pack wrote:More like mangler of metal..

Having raced car and motorycles, as well as built off road vehicles, a well stocked machine shop is rather a necessity.

I have a Lagun FT2 Vert Mill on a VFD, my Grizzly small mill (now just a power drill press with x/y table feed) Jet 13x40 Gear Head Lathe, several grinders, Big belt grinder, metal bandsaw, horiz/vert cut off bandsaw, several surface tables, 2 Lincoln Mig welders, optical comparator, alot of precision inspection items.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Thank you all for the replies. No I am not prejudiced against old guys =P Lots of the most experienced divers ive met have been older, which of course makes sense.

Jeff, I had actually noticed that when trying to find out where the metalheads hang out in Seattle xD
Tom, Amon Amarth is great. Even better than you know the meaning! Always great to meet someone who appreciates Lord of the Rings.

Is there a MMM going on this coming Monday, the 23rd? Id love to go to that again and dive with some of you if its being set up.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Jeff Pack wrote:More like mangler of metal..

Ah. I used to do quite a bit of machining and inspection when I worked in aerospace.

So, um, anyone here a Mahler-head?
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Mortuus wrote: Jeff, I had actually noticed that when trying to find out where the metalheads hang out in Seattle
Are you familiar with The Stranger? I suspect it probably has the most comprehensive music listings. Unfortunately there aren't many all ages venues so you'll need ID to get into music clubs.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Finding venues isnt an issue. Already been to tons of shows up here, and got numerous ones lined up xD
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Waup man, not a metal head but a very good friend of mine owns a Venue called Studio Seven here in Seattle, its pretty much the Metal Head go to spot. Check it out at www.studioseven.us also El Corazon is another spot... If you were over 21 i would have a little more information to share but Seattle isnt very under 21 friendly now days unlike back in the Good Ol Grundge days...

Anyhow I live near the University District off 60th, and am pretty flexable and able to dive when I want as I am self-employed and dont really have a work schedule. Although me and early mornings do not get along at all lol... Im not as young as you but Im not as old as alot of the guys and gals on here either :smt064 ...

I like diving with the older guys here as I am recently certified and we have some great and knowledgable divers here, probbaly some of the best in the world when it comes to Cold Water Diving In The PNW... But at the same time I also like diving with some of the guys closer to my age as well lol... You should come out with me and ZachSD sometime soon.

Mortuus wrote:Finding venues isnt an issue. Already been to tons of shows up here, and got numerous ones lined up xD
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

scubnewb wrote:Waup man, not a metal head but a very good friend of mine owns a Venue called Studio Seven here in Seattle, its pretty much the Metal Head go to spot. Check it out at http://www.studioseven.us also El Corazon is another spot... If you were over 21 i would have a little more information to share but Seattle isnt very under 21 friendly now days unlike back in the Good Ol Grundge days...

Anyhow I live near the University District off 60th, and am pretty flexable and able to dive when I want as I am self-employed and dont really have a work schedule. Although me and early mornings do not get along at all lol... Im not as young as you but Im not as old as alot of the guys and gals on here either :smt064 ...

I like diving with the older guys here as I am recently certified and we have some great and knowledgable divers here, probbaly some of the best in the world when it comes to Cold Water Diving In The PNW... But at the same time I also like diving with some of the guys closer to my age as well lol... You should come out with me and ZachSD sometime soon.

Mortuus wrote:Finding venues isnt an issue. Already been to tons of shows up here, and got numerous ones lined up xD
No way, your friend own Studio Seven?! I was just saw Korpiklaani and Arkona there last month. Awesome venue. Plenty of space, yet still small enough that you get a great personal experience with the band(s).
I like El Corazon too. Just saw a number of bands there as well. :metal:

If you arent a morning person, we will get along perfectly. I love to sleep in :). And I dont have a work or school schedule (although I will be job hunting once I get completely settled in up here)

Id love to head out with you guys some time. Im heading back to Oregon on Wednesday to haul all my belongings up to Bellevue, but then I will be here full time, and ready to dive.

Just a little FYI, im pretty ambitious when it comes to diving (note: ambitious does not mean im going to break safety rules). I plan on getting into tec, cave, ice, etc one of these days. So idk if tec is a goal of yours, but I know that when the time comes for me to get tec certs, id love a partner to go through those with. Doesnt mean I wont dive with you if you have no interest in tec though :)
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

WELCOME to the NW clan of clowns!!

You will love diving here! We have GREAT diving and good people around these parts!

Drop me a PM, I'd be happy to dive with ya..

Also, we meet every wednesday in Alki at Cove2 for a dive.. check out the WWW dive sticky under dive planning.

lets dive!

Koos
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Yes they do own it and I have done alot of business there, I am pretty involved in the music industry, just not it the Metal Field, but we can chat about that off the board. Do you have your gear up here yet... I am looking to go out today maybe or tomorrow. And Bellevue is just across the 520 bridge from me.

Mortuus wrote:
scubnewb wrote:Waup man, not a metal head but a very good friend of mine owns a Venue called Studio Seven here in Seattle, its pretty much the Metal Head go to spot. Check it out at http://www.studioseven.us also El Corazon is another spot... If you were over 21 i would have a little more information to share but Seattle isnt very under 21 friendly now days unlike back in the Good Ol Grundge days...

No way, your friend own Studio Seven?! I was just saw Korpiklaani and Arkona there last month. Awesome venue. Plenty of space, yet still small enough that you get a great personal experience with the band(s).
I like El Corazon too. Just saw a number of bands there as well. :metal:

If you arent a morning person, we will get along perfectly. I love to sleep in :). And I dont have a work or school schedule (although I will be job hunting once I get completely settled in up here)

Id love to head out with you guys some time. Im heading back to Oregon on Wednesday to haul all my belongings up to Bellevue, but then I will be here full time, and ready to dive.

Just a little FYI, im pretty ambitious when it comes to diving (note: ambitious does not mean im going to break safety rules). I plan on getting into tec, cave, ice, etc one of these days. So idk if tec is a goal of yours, but I know that when the time comes for me to get tec certs, id love a partner to go through those with. Doesnt mean I wont dive with you if you have no interest in tec though :)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Koos,

I have been wanting to hit up the Wed dives at Alki for a few weeks but hadnt reached out. Sounds like this might be a good week to come out and meet some of the WWW guys as its the closest dive site to me and it might become my weekly dive home! :calvin:
kdupreez wrote:WELCOME to the NW clan of clowns!!

You will love diving here! We have GREAT diving and good people around these parts!

Drop me a PM, I'd be happy to dive with ya..

Also, we meet every wednesday in Alki at Cove2 for a dive.. check out the WWW dive sticky under dive planning.

lets dive!

Koos
-Confucius
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Yes, my dive gear was the first thing I brought up. I d also love to get a dive in tomorrow. I posted a topic for MMM, but so far no takers. Although really im up for any site
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

We can hit Alki tomorrow if you want...
Mortuus wrote:Yes, my dive gear was the first thing I brought up. I d also love to get a dive in tomorrow. I posted a topic for MMM, but so far no takers. Although really im up for any site
-Confucius
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Yeah sure. What time? And which site? I know Alki has multiple ones, but ive never been to any of them
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Lets aim for Cove 2 around say 1:30...
Mortuus wrote:Yeah sure. What time? And which site? I know Alki has multiple ones, but ive never been to any of them
-Confucius
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

scubnewb wrote:Waup man, not a metal head but a very good friend of mine owns a Venue called Studio Seven here in Seattle, its pretty much the Metal Head go to spot. Check it out at http://www.studioseven.us
You friends with Tracy, too? Nice!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Yup have been knowing him and nicole for many years now, great couple and awesome people.
scottsax wrote:
scubnewb wrote:Waup man, not a metal head but a very good friend of mine owns a Venue called Studio Seven here in Seattle, its pretty much the Metal Head go to spot. Check it out at http://www.studioseven.us
You friends with Tracy, too? Nice!
-Confucius