My (to be) summer vacation

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
btroxell
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

My (to be) summer vacation

Post by btroxell »

My wife and I are planning on coming up to Washington diving this summer and have some questions. First a little about ourselves; we are avid divers, making about 40 dives a year from our kayaks in the Monterey, CA area. We are rec divers and usually stay above 100’. We are accustomed to the ocean waves but not currents.

We are planning on diving from July 12-15 but haven’t decided on what area. I have toyed with the idea of bringing the kayaks along but I think it would be better to dive off a boat for a few days and shore dive the rest. But there doesn’t seem to be a big selection of dive boats. I have read a few dive guide books but they are not helpful in deciding which area, only what dives to make when an area is chosen.

So now my questions. For those few days, would it be better to stay south and dive Tacoma and Hood canal or head north? Would a kayak allow us to get to a lot of spots or just get us in trouble with current? And would boat diving be a lot better or would it just take us to different spots with the same stuff to see as shore diving?
We are camping so want to reserve our campsites now before all are taken this summer. Thanks for any input.

Ben
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: My (to be) summer vacation

Post by CaptnJack »

I would skip the kayaks and plan on some charter boat diving. There aren't very many campsites in the Tacoma area, its really a sprawling combination of cities with 140,000 people...

I think the best combination might be to stay at one of the state parks in the Hood Canal area and do a combination of shore dives and charter boat dives. In general the currents south of Bangor are mild so that won't a be a huge shock. Surface waters are also slightly warmer there.

Another alternative is to stay in the Anacortes area and do a combination of shore dives on Whidbey Island and charter boat dives out fo Anacortes. The shore dives have relatively uncomplicated current planning there and there are nice vacation quality state parks to stay at.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

July 12 is an excellent day to dive Day Island Wall in Tacoma. A place to camp could be Salt Water State Park. Other good South Sound sites would be Les Davis, Lobster Shop Wall, Redondo and Three Tree.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

First time (ever) in Puget Sound I don't think I would recommend Day Island Wall. Still iffy even with a suitable guide. Maybe someone here is free to show them around that day though.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Well, you have picked one of the best tide windows we have in the next few months. The tidal exchanges in the afternoons are small, which means access to a wide variety of sites. However, there will likely be a problem with charters, as not many at all run during the week. Sometimes the Aluminator, based out of Seattle, will do an evening run in the summertime. But the Bandito boats out of Tacoma are basically just weekends. The PacAdventures boat in Hood Canal will run on Fridays if they can get the folks, but is otherwise a weekend thing as well.

What I would do, if I were you, is plan what part of the area you really want to see, and base yourself there. Then I'd post here closer to your trip, and see if you can see up some weekday buddies. If you can't, I'd stick to pretty benign sites. Even on small exchanges, currents here can be strong (the last time I tried to dive Day Island Wall, I got my butt handed to me) and in some sites, the currents do not do at all what you would expect them to do by looking at a map.

Don't despair -- there is a lot of good diving here, even if you stick to the "benign" places. I've seen seven Giant Pacific Octopuses on one dive in one of our local mudholes, and the ling cod and cabezons at Edmonds are bigger than you will see anywhere else.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Out on the peninsula there is more camping, and some good dive sites as well. Salt Creek is supposed to have some good diving and camping, but in general the sites around the Olympic Peninsula are more current sensitive just due to their location. All of the above is good advice though. No matter what part of the Puget Sound you are in, there is good diving. I've had fantastic dives at pretty much any site here. Boat dives are great, but around here there is plenty of excellent shore diving to be had!
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Dash Point State Park would put you right about in the middle of several south Puget Sound shore dive sites. Saltwater State Park is also located in the south sound and has camping, but may be little more primitive. However, Saltwater has a very nice reef that Dash Point does not (but make sure to time your dives during a slack tide). I'm trying to figure out a date myself this summer to camp/dive at Saltwater, as we really want to do a night dive on the reef (park gates close in the evening).

Up on the Olympic Peninsula, Salt Creek has a great campground that offers both tent and RV camping sites. It also has some great diving that will remind you of Monterey, as long as you can get through the surge/surf.

Make sure to do some diving in Hood Canal on your trip up/back from the Salt Creek, there are some great sites there as well.

If you keep in touch with this group, you're likely to have your choice of guides willing to show off our favorite NW sites.

Mike
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

mpenders wrote: I'm trying to figure out a date myself this summer to camp/dive at Saltwater, as we really want to do a night dive on the reef (park gates close in the evening).

Mike
Oooo.... this sounds promising!! :boucegreen:

If I promise not to TP your tent and eat all your food can you keep me in the loop on this one?!? :boucegreen:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

From your description I would recommend hood canal. You are likely to get in more diving in a short period of time there than in the sound. There are few places in the sound that are not current sensitive and that limits your options for multi dive days. Also as said earlier there are few camping places on the sound. At the moment Dash point is closed though it may reopen in time if the State can find the money to repair the storm damages from earlier this year both Dash Point and Salt water state park are small and limited as to camp sites and in a very densely populated areas so getting in can be tough.

There are a couple of very nice state parks on hood canal with great facilities as well as several private camp grounds. The currents are very mild in Hood canal though getting to some of the shore sites can be rough. Sund rock, a great site for shore diving is easy. It costs to park there but you park right down to by water and entry is easy. The dive shop in Hoodsport is only a few minutes away and there is a state park just south of there. The shop is well equipped and has very good fills both air and nitrox as well as trimix if you were into that sort of stuff. Pac adventures is in pleasant harbor just up the road and is a great outfit that spoils it's divers terribly. Hot soup and warm cookies right out of the oven during surface intervals and several really great dive sites close by. Also Dosewallips State Park is an awesome state park and is only a couple of miles away and during the summer Don may run weekday charters as well if the interest is there.

There are dozens of options and to little time to even scratch the surface. Worry not. We have a huge bunch of diving fools up here just looking for an excuse to dive with new people.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Tom Nic wrote:
mpenders wrote: I'm trying to figure out a date myself this summer to camp/dive at Saltwater, as we really want to do a night dive on the reef (park gates close in the evening).

Mike
Oooo.... this sounds promising!! :boucegreen:

If I promise not to TP your tent and eat all your food can you keep me in the loop on this one?!? :boucegreen:
You bet - but you're aware that I haven't made the same promises....right?

:angelblue:
btroxell
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by btroxell »

Thanks everyone for all the advice. We decided to stay south and have made camping reservations for Saltwater and Belfair. I have made reservations for the 1 day with Bandito has available and will make a reservation on the Down Time. My wife is now reading the guide books to determine where she wants to shore dive. Thanks again for all the input and hope to meet a few of you in July.

Ben
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

btroxell wrote:Thanks everyone for all the advice. We decided to stay south and have made camping reservations for Saltwater and Belfair. I have made reservations for the 1 day with Bandito has available and will make a reservation on the Down Time. My wife is now reading the guide books to determine where she wants to shore dive. Thanks again for all the input and hope to meet a few of you in July.

Ben
Ben,
You might want to considder Hoodsport instead of Belfair. As Dusty said, there is some great shore diving on that end of the Hood Canal.
"Rest - A- While" RV/ camp ground, is a nice place and close to Sund Rock, Jorsted Creek or Octopuss Hole!

I might be available for some Thursday, day or night dives. :smt064

Keith.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

+1 on Hoodsport over Belfair. Hoodsport is much more of a vacation spot to me (and closer to diving).
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Glen Ayr, north of Hoodsport, has camping, a place to rinse and dry your gear, and a hot tub. That is where we camp when up that way.[ There are several dive spots within 20 miles, some worthy of several dives. Flagpole might be a dive for a kayak, a bit far of a swim from shore for me. Or you can do it from the down time.
Hoodsport n dive is one of the best shops around for fills, repairs, and free cookies.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I would trash Bel-fair, Shallow boring muddy bottom. If your looking to do state parks I would highly recommend Potlatch State park it is 5 minutes from Hoodsport and dive and another 5min from Sund rock which is good for at least 2 or 3 dives. It is right on the canal and you could even dive at the park but I'm afraid it would be pretty boring. Or you could go with one of the private campground mentioned like Glen Ayr. In fact if you bring the kayaks and stay at Glen Ayr you can just launch there and it's a short paddle to Sund rock which you can see from there. That would be my choice for someone with kayaks. They have camping, a motel, beach access, and your only a short way from the dive shop who can clue you in on places you could kayak to. Can't beat the Downtime for great spots to dive and awesome service. Hidden harbor is a gorgeous site and Don knows all the good spots. You might PM nwscubamom and tell her you are going out on the down time. She found a really nice rental right there at the harbor that wasn't very expensive.

If your staying at Salt water state park there is a nice artificial reef there but it is a long swim or walk depending on tides and very current sensitive. Redondo is is only a couple of minutes from there and less current. Not to mention greatful diver Bob lives just a few minutes away and can usually be coerced into a dive or two in his favorite swimming hole and three tree point isn't all that far and it's a very good shore dive spot also popular with allot of the south enders and someone could be persuaded to come down a dive with ya I'm sure.