Hello from KPN

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Hello from KPN

Post by WaGigKpn »

Hello,
After years of neglect i am finally ready to take on scuba diving head on! I was certified in Hawaii in 2002 and never dove here in Puget sound other than dinking around in hood canal at a friends place. Last year on my honeymoon i went spear fishing with my bro in law. no tanks, just free dove. I loved it...now i want to do it all the time.

So, my pops was really big into scuba diving and is giving me all his gear but since i am 6'7'' and almost 300lbs the wetsuits he has wont be fitting me.

I am in the gear gathering stage, right now i have two tanks, regulator, BCV, weights, and maybe fins (i need to try them on). I am in the market for a wet suit, mask and snorkel.

Hopefully i am diving by the end of July! My goal is to dive at Sekiu this summer...my family goes fishing there all summer long...
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Hello from KPN

Post by Norris »

WaGigKpn wrote:Hello,
After years of neglect i am finally ready to take on scuba diving head on! I was certified in Hawaii in 2002 and never dove here in Puget sound other than dinking around in hood canal at a friends place. Last year on my honeymoon i went spear fishing with my bro in law. no tanks, just free dove. I loved it...now i want to do it all the time.

So, my pops was really big into scuba diving and is giving me all his gear but since i am 6'7'' and almost 300lbs the wetsuits he has wont be fitting me.

I am in the gear gathering stage, right now i have two tanks, regulator, BCV, weights, and maybe fins (i need to try them on). I am in the market for a wet suit, mask and snorkel.

Hopefully i am diving by the end of July! My goal is to dive at Sekiu this summer...my family goes fishing there all summer long...
Welcome and congrats on the commitment. You may want to keep an eye on Craigs List but considering your size it may be a little challenging to find a wetsuit/drysuit.
It doesnt hurt to keep an eye though and I think there are some big dudes on here that were recently selling some items. let's hope they check this out!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

At 6'7" and 300lbs I'm thinking your probably talking new suit, A 4XL Pinnacle Cruiser 7mm Men's Jump suit might work according to their chart. But you are right at the upper end. I would advise a 7mm two piece or a 7mm jumpsuit with a shorty on top. Go the a shop to try on masks they are not one size or style fits all. If your mask don't fit your day is over before it starts.

I would also advise a refresher course and allot of practice before hitting sekiu. There are some pretty rough diving conditions out there. I would rate most as advanced level dives.
viperwsu
Frequent Bubbler

Post by viperwsu »

I'm 6'5, 300lbs. I started with a 4xl Bare Elastek 7mm wetsuit, with a 7mm Elastek shortie over the top. Kept me nice and warm and fit really well. Now it's retired at 35 dives, and I've upgraded to a 4xl Whites Fusion drysuit, which also fits really well. I even have some room to spare as the size chart goes up to 6'10" for 4xl.

Do you have boots already? I wear a 13, and have had luck with seasoft sunrays (3mm) and seasoft stealth (7mm), but I think I'm at the upper range for those. White's has boots in a 14/15 that are enormous, which is what came with my drysuit, and I swapped them out for 13's that fit like my everyday sneakers.

That's all I have experience with regarding exposure protection, but it's all fit fairly well. As for a mask, do like Dusty said and go try some on. You won't know how a mask fits your face until you do.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Dusty2 wrote:Go the a shop to try on masks they are not one size or style fits all. If your mask don't fit your day is over before it starts..
And if you find a mask that fits, you, buy 2 of them. Not only just as a spare, but sometimes its hard to find a mask that fits...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

Thanks for the insight.
I will be doing a refresher with my boss. he is a certified dive instructor.

Mask wise i will look around for sure. right now money is tight so i may be stuck with some pretty crummy gear to start...
In addition to scuba i also plan on trying some freediving...I am like a fish in the water and just love swimming in general.

Couple questions:
1) if i free dive, could i get away with using a 3mm suit on a warm day? (hood included)
2) if i go spear fishing in july and august...what can i shoot? looking at the regs everything was open from may28 to june15. now its all closed except cabazon from what i can tell...maybe shoot some surfperch?

Thanks for the replies!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

We don't have many hunters in our crowd but I'm sure someone will chime in.

As for suit, 3 mil will freeze your butt off in short order except maybe in hood canal where it does develop a warm surface layer but at 50/55 deg. you would have to be really active to survive long. I dove a 3mil in florida in 74 deg water and it still got a bit chilly toward the end of the dive. As for what you might shoot? I'm definitely not the one to ask. After my military service in Nam my killer instinct was carefully packed away and is not allowed out to play.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

WaGigKpn wrote: Couple questions:
1) if i free dive, could i get away with using a 3mm suit on a warm day? (hood included)
2) if i go spear fishing in july and august...what can i shoot? looking at the regs everything was open from may28 to june15. now its all closed except cabazon from what i can tell...maybe shoot some surfperch?

Thanks for the replies!
The 3mm will not keep you warm. Surface swim will most likely be ok but the more you hit depth it will get cold quick. Our waters at depth really have about a 5 degree swing and the warmest is still pretty cold, although the top 20 feet gets kinda warm during slack.

I too, really had to be frugal when buying gear as my SCUBA budget was very humble. Just keep an eye out there and try and start a budget so you have the money when things become available. The key to Craigslist is "I'm on my way now with money in hand!"

Good luck and I hope to see you out here with us soon.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

This thread is probably going to turn into an "update on gear search" thread. haha.

I went on lunch to sound dive center in bremerton. nice place. Didnt really have anything that would fit my huge size. i spent some time looking on amazon and came across an Xcel 8/7/6/5 polar hydroflex hooded suit in size XLTall for $300. It should fit me tall wise but weight wise it is only rated to 220lbs...i weight almost 300...I am tempted to go for it...

Here is a description:
Xcel Mens 8/7/6/5mm Polar HydroFlex Hooded Wetsuit Polar Protection System consist of a horizontal front zipper with a Titanium lined inner neck dam, quadruple glued and blind stiched into the body with Smooth Skin face seal and extra wide wrist and ankle seals. Multi Density Vented hood and face seal that is trimable to fit dive mask. Shed weight w/o losing warmth. Integrated hood allows for non choking comfort. FEATURES The ultimate flexible Semi-Dry hooded dive suit. Titanium lines 8mm body and hood 7mm lower sleeves 6mm lower sleeves 5mm back legs Extra wide wrist and ankle seals Pre-Bent Articulating elbows and knees for easy mobility. Lifetime Guarantee on stitching COLOR: BLACK SIZES: S, M, MT, MLS, ML, LS, L, LT, XLS, XL, XLT, 2XLS, 2XL, 3XLS, 3XL SPECIALTY SIZE: 4XL - PLEASE INQUIRE TO ITS AVAILABILITY Specialty Sizes are more and will require an additional 2 to 5 weeks for delivery. Specialty size sales are non returnable or exchangeable so please make sure your choice is correct.

UPDATE:found the same suit, but 2012 brand new on scuba(dot)com for 389. they show that a 3xl fits up to 6'6'' and 260lbs...
viperwsu
Frequent Bubbler

Post by viperwsu »

IMHO, I would really recommend renting a few wetsuits first. Lots of shops should have something to fit, and you'll get a feeling for what fits you. At least try to find one that you could try on. They're designed to fit tight, and at almost 100lbs heavier than rated, it might be waaaaay too tight. I bought my Bare suit through Ft. Lewis Scuba, but tried on a 3XL first, that was 'close' in fit according to the size chart. It stretched enough for me to zip it closed, but I could barely breath. If I'd just ordered it first, I could have been stuck with it, or paying to ship it back.

If you're tight on funds, renting would also be a way to save up enough to get something you KNOW will fit, rather than something you THINK will fit. But as always, your money, your gear, your choice.
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

I do have a 3mm xltall wet suit from costco that actually fits quite well. i have also grown up wearing wetsuits here and there so i am no stranger to them.
I took measurements of my waist and chest. seems i am in the 2xl-3xl range. I called the website and talked to a very helpful guy. He said dont really pay attention to the weight. he said the measurements are what is important. so now i am in a place where i can either get one that is a hair too small or one that is a hair too big...
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

Well after a few phone calls and more research i went with the Xcel 3xl 8/7/6/5mm polar titanium jumpsuit/wetsuit with attached hood.

Now i just need to get my dad's old gear together and a new mask and i am set. Hope to be diving in 2 weeks when i get my wet suit.
viperwsu
Frequent Bubbler

Post by viperwsu »

Congratulations, and welcome to diving cold and green :supz:
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

guess the Xcel wet suit is popular...its been on back order but i confirmed i will receive it on the 23rd of July...
I have a tank full of air and old but trust worthy reg and BCD ready to use...Funny, the tank is prob too old to get rehydro'd so its a one use then done...

First dive is gonna be shallow for sure, in case something happens.

Other than that i look forward to free diving!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Welcome to the club! Take it slow and be sure all of your "life dependent gear", is serviced and working properly. Might not be a bad Idea to take your gear to your local dive shop and let them give it a once over.
Be careful and welcome back to the addiction! :burntchef:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Welcome to NWDC!
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I happened to be crabbing at Illahee state park yesterday and ran into fishboy doing a sound diving class. Small world...

I was jealous for sure...even more motivated to get in the water now! (especially since i caught 0 crab with pots)

As far as my reg and BCD...they work fine...im saving money to buy new stuff...so until then i am just doing non deco dives in situations i always feel confident i can surface in an emergency...I am almost more excited to just free dive to be honest...I kinda want to be that guy who goes down to 30-40 feet with the divers but no tank...lol...time will tell if i get that good...