Intro and re-intro

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Nalu
Getting To Know Folks

Intro and re-intro

Post by Nalu »

Hello all-

I was going through some old dive pics and ran across some from about 10 years ago with some of the crusty curmudgeons I've known here and there and got the bright idea to do a search again for a NW forum....and here I am.

It has been some time since the old days of NWDiver.com and as things got busy with my charter fishing business, I slipped away from dialogue with some of the good people I met in those old days. Plenty of fun discussions back then, and lots of learning for everyone. It was not much of a surprise to see GratefulDiver still in the mix when I popped up this discussion board. :)

About me.. I have been diving since 1992, trained at UofO in Eugene prior to graduation and a move to Maui. I dove for more than 10 years and more than 1000 dives with my basic OW cert. Even though I warm water dove a lot in Maui as I worked with an onsite dive center, cold water diving has always been my love. I live in Oregon and have dove all over the NW and BC, as well as live aboards in the Channel Islands, plenty of diving in Mexico both Gulf and Pacific side, and try to make a trip to Cozumel every year.

About 9 years ago I finally got around to getting my PADI DM since I was opening a charter boat operation in Oregon and wanted to have it available for trips. I currently own and operate Nalu Charters out of Depoe Bay, but I do not offer dive charters any longer, I now strictly stick to offshore Tuna fishing. My wife is also a PADI DM, and we actually met in my DM class where she was a DM and I was a DIT.

My diving: I dive a bit of a mixed rig. I dive a long hose kit and I worked hard to go BP and Wings, but found that I just simply could never get comfortable. Since I don't really care what others think, my long hose and BCD works fine for me... as do my split fins... LOL. Yes, and can hover fine and not silt up the bottom. :)

I am terrible at keeping a dive log. When on a live aboard, or long weekend, I note all the dive locations, bottom time, etc. so I know where I was and what pics I took, but it is pretty minimal. If I'm just doing a couple or 3 dives in a day, I usually don't bother.

Not sure if it is frowned upon in this community now, (there was always plenty of debate before) but I frequently dive solo, especially when I am intending to really focus on photography. When I am really trying to take dive pictures I make a terrible dive partner, so I find it unfair to have another diver place faith in me when I in all honesty will not have my dive partners best interest in mind at all time.

I've been traveling a lot the last few years and not dove as much as in the past, but it comes and goes. With a new job I will not be traveling so much so will end up having more time to go do some dives during the week in the Seattle area so wanted to give a shout out again. I'm a good dive buddy when I say I'm going to be a buddy. :)

Anyhow... hello to all. Look forward to meeting up with some of you for the first time, as well as diving with some of those I have shared bubbles with before. Oh- My old username was Playspot1 from the old board. That referenced my whitewater kayaking days.

Mike

Here's me with my old Nikon hacked together kit. I actually am housing-less currently since I had that camera stolen and then sold the housing. Haven't bought a housing for the D7000 yet. Maybe this winter.

LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Intro and re-intro

Post by LCF »

Welcome to the NWDC! We don't tend to be a judgmental bunch . . . Just let us know when you are going to be up this way, and I'm sure you will not lack for dive buddies, if you want them!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Hi Mike,

Welcome Back! It's good to see that you are still diving and that your charter business is still running strong!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome back!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Nalu
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Nalu »

Thanks all, and thanks Scott, good to see you are still here and active. It's been a long time since I've dove up north with some of you folks.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Hey! I remember you once you said you were playspot! NW Diver seems sooooo loooooong agoooooo. We're gettin' old. Thanks for coming back around and welcome!
- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Welcome, Mike! Always glad to have another Oregon diver around here.
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Hey Mike, I think it would be cool to go over the side in the middle of a school of jumpers sometime. Ever done that? If you are looking for a buddy midweek, i am usually free, give me a shout.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Welcome to the forum. Do you ever do any diving around Depoe Bay? It looks promising from shore. I've always wanted to try it.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Wow, welcome to the Board/Club!
There are so many Oregon diver's on this board, Someone should organize a club dive down there! :burntchef: :smt064
:stir:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

BASSMAN wrote:Wow, welcome to the Board/Club!
There are so many Oregon diver's on this board, Someone should organize a club dive down there! :burntchef: :smt064
:stir:
I'm in.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu