getting back into the water after a way too long break.

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
imjustdave
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

getting back into the water after a way too long break.

Post by imjustdave »

Wanted to say hello to the group.

I dove the last time over 10 years ago and getting back into diving. Guess I'm a newbie so I apologize for any stupid Q.
I live in the south end "Sumner WA" area

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Mortuus
Amphibian

Re: getting back into the water after a way to long break.

Post by Mortuus »

Advice? Hmm... Well, there's a bunch of south Sound guys who host a mostly-weekly dive on Thursday! I'd say that's a good place to start if you're looking to get back into diving. Welcome to the board!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

+1 on the Thurs night crew. They are very newb friendly
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome! Lots of people around who are happy to answer questions, be mentors, and/or just regular ol' dive buddies. We have weekly dives all over the Sound that you are more than welcome to join. Check out the dive planning section to see what's up and where each week.

Have you thought about taking a refresher course? We are fortunate to have a plethora of excellent instructors around here.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Do you still have your gear? It probably ought to be serviced before you use it again -- even when not in use, o-rings deteriorate and seals rot.

It's not at all a bad idea to do a refresher, and they generally aren't very expensive. The alternative is to find somebody who's willing to spend some time in very shallow water with you, while you remind yourself about stuff like mask flooding and remove/replace, and regulator recovery, and remembering where all the controls on stuff are.

Welcome back to the water -- I doubt it's changed much, but it's still cold and it's still full of life!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
olalladiver
Aquaphile

Post by olalladiver »

Welcome aboard!

+2 for the Thursday crew... Great people... great sense of humor... fun dives... sometimes even beer and snacks after...

What could be better?

I'm out for a couple weeks, but hope to be back at it later in July.
Matt S.
Submariner

Re: getting back into the water after a way too long break.

Post by Matt S. »

I feel better about my dry 6 months now.

Welcome!