New Student at UW Looking to do some PNW Diving

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
njnigam
Frequent Bubbler

New Student at UW Looking to do some PNW Diving

Post by njnigam »

Hi Everyone,

I just moved in at UW, and I'm very, very excited to do some diving in the Pacific North West. I was certified three years ago in Southern California, so I'm experienced in cold water and I have about 10 dives with my new drysuit. Once I'm situated, I'm hoping to go diving almost every week if possible. I love underwater photography and I'm willing to dive any time that I am free! This looks like a really nice and active diving community so I can't wait to meet all of you!

Best,
Nirupam
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Re: New Student at UW Looking to do some PNW Diving

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

Welcome to the board!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome! We have weekly dives all over the Sound, and everyone is welcome. Check out the dive planning forum here:

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewforum.php?f=3

The WWW dives at Alki on Wednesdays would probably be the closest to you, but you are welcome to join any of them. Also, we're having a club dive/bbq on the 28th that you are welcome to attend as well. Information for that may be found here:

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21516

Welcome to the board, and to Seattle!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Nirupam comes vetted and enthusiastically approved by my beloved dive buddy Claudette Dorsey -- which means his skills are solid and his interest in marine life is avid and joyful. I can't wait to meet him and dive with him, but y'all should definitely try to beat me to it.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
njnigam
Frequent Bubbler

Post by njnigam »

Thank you for the welcome! I am already planning to attend the WWW dive and the club dive this Saturday!

I just have two questions about the club: Is there a fee to join the club? Also, do you guys do club meetings?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Welcome!
No fees, No meetings. You are a club member just by signing in and most of the info is right here on the board. Also no fees or requirements for the various weekly dives. You will find that our members are a open and fun group who welcome new dive buddies. As far as critter watchers and photographers you will find we have a large and active group.
winte.r
Avid Diver

Post by winte.r »

Welcome, I'm a senior this year, FYI I've also I've found reference to a UW student dive club, the Underdawgs but I can't figure out if they are active or not
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

winte.r wrote:Underdawgs but I can't figure out if they are active or not
I knew people where trying to revive the organization three or so years ago but have the impression that they have moved on. There are niches of scientific diving in various departments where you would expect them and the engineering students have a human powered submarine with support divers and its operators. There are a few divers in the sailing club too.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Micah
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Micah »

Welcome to the board! As a fellow UW student (sophomore), I'm excited to see some Husky divers! I live about 10 miles away from campus and am always looking for a dive buddy! You should come to the WWW this Wednesday at Alki and meet the whole gang.
Winter, I posted on the underdawgs site about a year ago with no response.... I think it is safe to say the club is dead. Wanna revive it??
winte.r
Avid Diver

Post by winte.r »

Micah wrote:Welcome to the board! As a fellow UW student (sophomore), I'm excited to see some Husky divers! I live about 10 miles away from campus and am always looking for a dive buddy! You should come to the WWW this Wednesday at Alki and meet the whole gang.
Winter, I posted on the underdawgs site about a year ago with no response.... I think it is safe to say the club is dead. Wanna revive it??
What's funny is I live 50 miles away so I'm usually hitting the ThThTh Redondo dive if I can, It'd be fun to be an Underdawg , we only need 4 more students to be an RSO....which by the way in my line of work stands for Registered Sex Offender....sigh..
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Well, if any of you guys are still at UW in a year and a half, I would love to get a diving club started up there. I will be transfering to UW after I get my AS. It'd be great to know people from my college who dive
Micah
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Micah »

I'd love to start up the Underdawgs again, only problem is I don't know any other students who dive. Maybe its because college students are notorious for being broke...