New to PNW diving

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
AJS
Just Settling In

New to PNW diving

Post by AJS »

Hi all,

I have been living in the PNW for 15 years, but finally decided to start diving in the region. I got a dry suit (did my certification last year at Silent World Bellevue) and I am eager to use it. Actually one of the resolutions for this year is to dive at least once a month, hopefully more. I have AOW certification, 70+ dives, mostly in warm waters. :-)

So to keep up with my year resolution, how do I get to go diving? A friend recommended this forum for this goal. Looking forward to contributing to this community.

Thanks,
AJS
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Re: New to PNW diving

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

Welcome to the board. What dry suit did you get?
chokolad
Avid Diver

Post by chokolad »

AJS wrote: So to keep up with my year resolution, how do I get to go diving? A friend recommended this forum for this goal. Looking forward to contributing to this community.

Thanks,
AJS
Go to "Dive Planning" section of the forum and read weirdly sounding posts such as "WWW", "ThThTh", "MMM" etc. Post there that you plan to attend and attend :). It's that easy.
Goodt_godiving
Aquaphile

Post by Goodt_godiving »

Welcome to the Forum and to PNW Diving! We are a very active group of local divers and plan several dives. There are 2 weekly dives that are typically hosted on this forum under the dive planning sections mentioned above. They are always up for new divers to join either on Wed at Alki Cove 2 or on Thur and those locations are determined weekly. Join any of those discussions each week to let us know you are coming! Do you have all the rest of your gear or do you need to rent things other than your drysuit?
AJS
Just Settling In

Post by AJS »

Thanks all.

I got all gear. I bought a Whites Fusion One. The only piece of gear I don't currently have are:
- air tank
- weight and belt (my BC is not weight integrated, next upgrade in my list).

Weekdays are tough for me, not impossible, but tough due to work and being in the Eastside. Also since I have new equipment I want to start with daylight dives and then switch to night dive (2nd upgrade item would be a better/more powerful torch light).

I will look at the Dive Plan folder and see if I can find something this weekend!

Thanks!
Goodt_godiving
Aquaphile

Post by Goodt_godiving »

Great job on getting a lot of gear! That is great news :) My BC is not weight integrated either but I do have a backplate that has some weight on it. I use a DUI weight harness for my weight and really like it. It seems to be way more comfy for me than my old weight belt that used to either fall off or hit my hip bones and just hurt. You can typically find weights and belts etc on Craigslist. This weekend we are not diving except Sun night but we might have something we can invite you to next weekend! :) GO DIVING! You can also just try to post something in dive planning asking for a buddy for the weekend :)
olalladiver
Aquaphile

Post by olalladiver »

Welcome to the board and PNW diving... come on in... the waters fine!

I've been lucky enough to meet tons of great people on this board. You really can't go wrong here hardly... So attend a weekly event, club dives or just ask if you wanna dive and there's good chances that you'll be able to connect with people with less effort than you thought possible. I feel really fortunate to be a part of this community. And one of my guiding principles is that I don't, as a rule, like people... So that says something of the people here. They're a cut above.

Just sayin'