Relocating to Seattle

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
merfal
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Relocating to Seattle

Post by merfal »

I am quite possibly relocating to Seattle very shortly and am just checking out the dive scene here. I am used to diving water between 40 and 50 degrees, strong currents, and low visibility, although I'll never turn down a dive with minimal current and good vis. That is all.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Relocating to Seattle

Post by Desert Diver »

None of the people on this site will dive if the vis is over 10 feet. And with no current you would need to swim.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome to the board! 40-50 degrees, bad viz, and currents sound about right. :) You can head up to Canada to get all of the above but typically better viz.

Where are you relocating from?
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
merfal
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by merfal »

I am relocating from NC. I did already sign up for GUE Tech 1 in Vancouver Island, BC in September which I'm super excited about. I am going to have to pick up some new gear such as dry gloves before my class though. Based upon advice I've received, I'm going with Kubi's dry gloves. :)
It's DUE!
Frequent Bubbler

Post by It's DUE! »

Welcome!
There is a considerable GUE community up in Seattle, and lots of awesome diving (both technical and recreation ) to be done. I am sure Koos (the local instructor) will chime in here shortly.
I live in southern California half the year, and I would gladly take a day in puget sound over a day on Catalina. Even if the coz is 80+ an the water is 65 degrees
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Welcome to NWDC...you are joining up with the right crew here. We are used to low viz and low temps too. I must admit I am a bit jealous of you, I am trying to talk my wife into relocating from Portland to somewhere outside of Seattle so that we can dive more. Lot's of good folks up there to get in with, I am sure you will love it up there.
archisgore
Aquaphile

Post by archisgore »

Welcome! As everyone has said, if I see too far, I get confused. Are you taking Tech 1 with Guy Shockey up north?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Cold water, low vis and current ... you should fit right in.

There's a large, active diving community here ... not to mention that the diving is super convenient. Many of us live within minutes of a dive site.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/