Hello

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
cellowithgills
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Hello

Post by cellowithgills »

Hi everyone, my name is Micah. I'm living the the Newport, OR area while I complete a degree in Aquarium Science through Oregon Coast Community College. I was certified last year and only have 7 dives so far, all in relatively cold water. I'm planning on getting Advanced Certified around the end of the summer, but I want to get another 10-20 dives in first (my goal for the summer). My goal is to be able to dive the aquarium by this winter.

I'm in search of dive buddies in my area. I may not have a lot of dives, but I'm calm in the water and eager to learn. I've dove the South Jetty 3rd finger, the crab hole in Florence, and Woahink Lake in Florence. I want to check out the other fingers, the crab hole in Walport, Netarts Bay, and other places nearby.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Hello

Post by Penopolypants »

Hi Micah! We have an Oregonian group here, although it seems that many of them head up to the Sound more than to the coast. Perhaps more will chime in. Many of them do head to the coast from time to time, so perhaps they'll chime in.

Welcome to the board!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

Hi Micah,

I do head up to the sound (although I am a new diver as well). If you know of some safe dive sites in Oregon, I am up for those as well. PM me and I will give you my phone number.
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Hi Micah, welcome to NWDC!

Another source for local buddies might be the Oregon Scuba Club. I think they have a few folks in your area.
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Matt and Micah,

Oregon Scuba Club has members in Salem and many members that volunteer at the Newport Aquarium. Eugene Skin divers and there club are very active in the Newport and Florence area. There is also South Beach Scuba in Newport if you haven't visited them. The two shops in Salem are also active on the Central Oregon Coast.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/