New Diver at Great Hood Canal Location

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
HolidayBeachGuy
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

New Diver at Great Hood Canal Location

Post by HolidayBeachGuy »

I am recently open water certified and have acquired all my gear to start enjoying diving. I own a small house on Miller Creek which is part of the Holiday Beach community located on Susan Ave., a short walk to Sund Rock. I spend as many weekends there as possible but am looking for dive buddies to spend more. All the un-metered fresh water you would want to rinse your gear after a dive from our water system. Interested in underwater photography and harvesting delicious seafood. Will continue to throw my crab pot off our float, but can go crab grabbing whether they want to get in it or not. Eventually want to start spear fishing for Ling cod (I know how to make good filets out of them). I know Sund Rock and Octopus Hole are pictures only.
Don-B
Dive-aholic

Re: New Diver at Great Hood Canal Location

Post by Don-B »

Hello and welcome.
I am about 30 miles north of you and on the other side of the Hood Canal at Seabeck.
When your ready to check out the other dive sites on the Canal send me a PM.
As for Sund you should have any trouble finding dive buddies for there.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Welcome to the addiction! Sadly spear fishing is very limited in WA. Only a couple of weekends a year. Neah bay is the only place I know of with a longer season. Same story with shrimp. Very limited season. Weekends at Sund rock are usually pretty busy so finding dive buddies isn't a big problem. Just post here in the dive planning section and I'm sure you won't have much of a problem.
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

spear fish on hood canal... go directly to jail.. do not pass go.
It's a good day.... nobody died!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome to the board, and congrats on your certification!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
jerryehrlich
Avid Diver

Post by jerryehrlich »

HolidayBeachGuy wrote:I am recently open water certified and have acquired all my gear to start enjoying diving. I own a small house on Miller Creek which is part of the Holiday Beach community located on Susan Ave., a short walk to Sund Rock. I spend as many weekends there as possible but am looking for dive buddies to spend more. All the un-metered fresh water you would want to rinse your gear after a dive from our water system. Interested in underwater photography and harvesting delicious seafood. Will continue to throw my crab pot off our float, but can go crab grabbing whether they want to get in it or not. Eventually want to start spear fishing for Ling cod (I know how to make good filets out of them). I know Sund Rock and Octopus Hole are pictures only.
All of Hood Canal is closed to rock fish, end of story.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Welcome to the board! Dive sund semi often, could hook up for a dive.
HolidayBeachGuy
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by HolidayBeachGuy »

I saw some guys spearfishing in Puget Sound on You Tube and I don't even own or have ever used a spear gun before so I don't need any more posts about the subject. NO SPEARFISHING IN HOOD CANAL....I GET IT. But I love Ling Cod and I will pursue the sport someday and will obey all rules set forth governing the harvest of said tasty fish.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

I would love to come on out and dive with you!!!
Crabbing is always fun.
Let me know.
Kirsten
scubak@comcast.net
"Let's go diving!"