Boo

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
ghost
Frequent Bubbler

Boo

Post by ghost »

I know a few of you here as I have been diving since 82. I am no longer able to dive, and will be liquidating equipment such as my compressor, booster, storage bottles, mix panel, fill whips, doubles, lights, et... I've already gotten rid of a couple scooters and related parts, but there will be more. I'm only selling the things that are ready at the moment, the rest will come in time. It took me many years to put this all together, and will take awhile to get it all together. I still have the very first U.S. divers branded tank that could be bought on the open market, will probably need to contact usd to see if they are interested in that.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: Boo

Post by Linedog »

Come on, post a photo of said tank.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
ghost
Frequent Bubbler

Post by ghost »

picture, I'll try to get one. I did a little research last night, it in fact IS one of the very first actual SCUBA tanks on the market. The tank is marked 5 of 1951 by PST which was the first year they produced scuba tanks. So its definitely the first year, and May has got to be pretty early. Serial number wise I don't know where this would fall, but its obviously pretty early.

I really don't know what a good home for this would be. USD is not like a huge huge company with thousands of employees and a museum, and apparently USD did not technically exist in 1951! There are not to my knowledge any decent SCUBA museums either, most are kind of fly by night affairs.....

Hmmm...

Probably not looking to sell this. I'd like to find it a more "noble" home. Like, if the Calypso ever got floated again, that might be a good place for it. Might never happen.
ghost
Frequent Bubbler

Post by ghost »

BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

The guys at Flashback Scuba in Tacoma has a pretty good collection of vintage diving equipment and may be interested in acquiring the tank. At a minimum they will be able to tell you what you have.

http://www.flashbackscuba.com/museum/New_Museum.html
ghost
Frequent Bubbler

Post by ghost »

Thanks Bill, I was able to get a hold of an old friend at PSI. He was able to confirm that it is the first year of tanks, very rare. He knows of two others, one his, so collectively we know of 3 of them. The serial number is about midpoint in the range.

I may give the guys down in Tacoma a call. I might be willing to put it on loan if they get something going. I'd like for others to be able to see it.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Thanks.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
straitscuba
Aquaphile

Post by straitscuba »

Interesting. I may have one of the same tanks. I will have to check dates on it when I get home tonight but from the picture it looks exactly the same. It came in a set of gear that was given to me by someone that started diving in the early 50's. There were two steel tanks with the pipe thread valves, an aqualung aquamatic (1st single hose regulator that came out in 1955) in near perfect condition, and assorted other cool old gear.
ghost
Frequent Bubbler

Post by ghost »

Exciting. Check the hydro date, as well as the bottom of the tank to see if it is concave.
straitscuba
Aquaphile

Post by straitscuba »

On closer examination mine is a voit tank. Cant make out the 1st hydro date but it is a 2250psi and the 2nd hydro was 1968. I was excited for a bit there