Visiting

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Keith.M
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Visiting

Post by Keith.M »

Hello Folks,

I will be visiting the PNW next week.

I know the beginning of the week is going to have some pretty large exchanges, but that's just the way it worked out. It looks like it lays down a bit toward the end of the week though, so hopefully we will be able to get some good dives in regardless.

Planning for two nights at Mike's Beach Resort, 3/24-25 Then heading to Whidbey Island on the 26th. We may want to also consider Edmonds as well.

I think the winter has been pretty mild up here too? How does that effect the visibility?

Any reports on Hood Canal and Whidbey Island? (Fort Casey, Keystone Jetty)

Thanks a lot!

Keith
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Visiting

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome!

Hood Canal is usually pretty current insensitive, so it's good that you're heading there in the beginning of the week. Whidbey is quite current sensitive, but it looks like the exchange is pretty good in the mornings towards the end of the week. I have found Edmonds to be current sensitive on large exchanges, as well, although not to the extent that you would find on Whidbey.

For planning for Whidbey and Edmonds, use current tables, not tide tables.

Our viz is so variable that it's hard to say what it will be like in advance. Certainly heavy rain can create a "chocolate soup" effect and viz may be close to zero, at least near the surface. Periods of warm, sunny weather can cause plankton blooms that affect the viz as well. It's a crapshoot. Our viz is rarely particularly good, though - sadly, you have to get 15-20' before it's considered "good", above that is considered "great", and there are a few times a year when it might get to 50' and we all go completely bonkers.

Welcome to the PNW!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Keith.M
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Keith.M »

Thank you for the reply.

Do you have any links to current tables? When I google that, I seem to just get the same tide tables I have been looking at.

Most of my diving is in the Monterey area so although we average better visibility, I have been in low visibility on many occasions.

The tides and the current are what is going to be different for me.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/sea - The link is also on the front page of the NWDC site.

You can get to the current prediction tables by selecting "other current stations" in the bottom right hand corner.