South Pacific to the PNW

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
bike_reck_ben
Just Settling In

South Pacific to the PNW

Post by bike_reck_ben »

Hello all,
I recently (January) got qualified to dive in Guam and now I want to keep going in the area. I have 20 logged dives there and am certified through advanced open water and nitrox. I found out yesterday that 30 pounds with a 7mil wetsuit isn't enough to to get me underwater and want to get my trim set right. I'm available most weekends if you don't mind showing someone a new site or have some cold water trade secrets to pass down.
Ben
Don't tempt me with a good time. I may just take you up on that offer.
jelo
Just Settling In

Re: South Pacific to the PNW

Post by jelo »

Hey how's it going? where abouts do you live?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Hola and welcome to NWDC, Ben!

Wow, getting certified in Guam, that is a fantastic part of the world to dive (been to Micronesia, Palau, etc.).

So the whole weight issue in transitioning to cold water is a tricky one, but you've come to the right place to get sorted out. The first thing we need to know is what kind of tank you're using. Most of us dive steel tanks here, as they don't go as positively buoyant as aluminum tanks do when they're close to empty. Also, what kind of suit are you diving, a 7mm fullsuit or a farmer john type suit (that would mean 14mm in the midsection). Height and weight will give us a better overall idea of what you're dealing with as well.

Cheers,

Calvin
bike_reck_ben
Just Settling In

Post by bike_reck_ben »

I've been diving with the crew at Sound Dive Center in Bremerton and have my weight dialed in. 26 pounds with HP 100s. I'm diving Rockaway on Sunday afternoon if anyone wants to join.
Don't tempt me with a good time. I may just take you up on that offer.