Hello! Started my dives in Pacific with losing my GoPro

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
outcoldman
Getting To Know Folks

Hello! Started my dives in Pacific with losing my GoPro

Post by outcoldman »

Hey,

I'm Denis (folks also know me as Den). I have certified in March 2015 in Costa Rica as an Open Water, Advanced Open Water and Enriched Air diver (video form the dives https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U_IrkPpCIU). Had few discovery dives before (Virgin Islands in 2014 and Spain in 2009). This month decided to get Dry Suit certification with Bellevue Divers and try pacific cold water.

Had my first 2 dives on Alki beach today. Great experience, but I lost my camera on second dive. Don't understand how this happened, as I thought it was attached to my BC. I lost it somewhere in this area https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5889017 ... a=!3m1!1e3

So If someone will find GoPro 4 Silver (with screen on back) in Diving Housing with Red Lens, on Stick with Blue handle - please let me know. :)
bradmond
Submariner

Re: Hello! Started my dives in Pacific with losing my GoPro

Post by bradmond »

Welcome to the club Den, hope someone finds your camera. They seem to get lost but several have been recovered.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome! I would recommend checking in the Marination people from time to time as well as the local dive shops. If anyone here finds it I am sure they will post it. Good luck!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Hi Den,

I'm Dennis. People call me Dennis or shark bait. Sorry you lost your camera :( I would ask Marination. I tried to turn something in there but they said they did not operate a lost and found. I posted here and on craigslist.
outcoldman
Getting To Know Folks

Post by outcoldman »

Dennis thank you for suggesting craiglist, posted also here as well.

Btw, I'm not very optimistic about that I will get it back, so I started to explore other options. Don't want to spend another $400 for camera. Found one very nice option just for ~$70 + ~$25 for original waterproof housing + ~$10 for stick. I'm talking about Xiaomi Yi, you can buy it at Amazon or on Gearbest http://www.gearbest.com/xiaomi-yi-_gear/ For little more than ~$100 looks like very good solution to shoot FullHD videos underwater. Read few reviews, looks like a nice camera.

Disadvantages from GoPro:

- Less accessories (GoPro housing does not fit, but mountings can be used), so no additional battery pack to extend shooting time. But still can buy original waterproof case. Xiaomi does not have original 60m diving house.
- 1080 (FullHD) @ 60FPS is a maximum. GoPro can shoot 2.7K and 4K videos. And 120/240 FPS for FullHD/720p. 2.7K and 4K not really useful underwater, also don't think that somebody need more than 30FPS underwater.
- No screens (no monochromic screen, not back screen, and not options to add one). Very simple usage: can switch from video to photo and back / start and stop recording / turn on and off wifi. I have not really used screens underwater, but sometimes used it to show after. You can use iOS/Android apps for quick preview.

Advantages:
- In 4 times cheaper. I would less worry about loosing it.
- 2 hours shooting without using wifi (I believe that GoPro has less than that or maybe similar).

If you have not heart about Xiaomi brand, it is very good brand I have heard, their phones (android phones) are best sellers in China, they don't bring them to USA for various reasons http://www.businessinsider.com/why-xiao ... -us-2015-3

Did anybody use it for scuba diving? Seems like very good camera for this price.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Meh I would go with the SJ5000. I own two of these and all GoPro accessories, save the housings work with them. Comes with underwater housing and built in LCD. You can order extra batteries to have some on standby too.

food for thought

I haven't had any problems with mine.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

Norris wrote:Meh I would go with the SJ5000. I own two of these and all GoPro accessories, save the housings work with them. Comes with underwater housing and built in LCD. You can order extra batteries to have some on standby too.

food for thought

I haven't had any problems with mine.
I have one of those too...seems to work good so far.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Had mine to 130 so far so good
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
outcoldman
Getting To Know Folks

Post by outcoldman »

I guess a little more details about where I lost my camera can be useful

This was near the water taxi. On the right side when looking east. I believe people call it Cove 2.

I believe that I lost it somewhere on 50-40 feet deep somewhere near the line which goes from the white buoys on the way back. This is where I thought that I attached it back to my bcd, but looks like I didn't. We surfaced actually here because we were low on air. It was close to the buoys, like 10 feet or so.

Thank you again!
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

One thing that has been suggested on here before is to label your camera with your phone number, e-mail address, etc. so that if you lose it and it gets found they have a means to contact you. Some people also create a word or text file and put it on the memory card with contact info.

I hope that you are able to recover it.

Mike