New Member Wants to Dive in Tillamook Area in Sept or sooner! What is closest diving Charter and boat on OR Coast to PDX

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
BattagliaScuba
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

New Member Wants to Dive in Tillamook Area in Sept or sooner! What is closest diving Charter and boat on OR Coast to PDX

Post by BattagliaScuba »

My name is Chris Battaglia Hello! I have done several cold water dives in Hood Canal area. I have done 66 dives total, I have my Naui Advanced Scuba Diver Certification.

Would love to plan a dive some place on Oregon coast if any one is planing a trip please let me know. Taking a break from the working world, so I can go during the week. Looking to do a two tank dive.

I also would like to know, what is the closest Boat Charter and dive outfit on Oregon Coast to Portland. Any good dive outfits that take people diving south of Tillamook? Newport, Lincoln City etc?

Thank you!!!

Christopher Battaglia
Last edited by BattagliaScuba on Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: New Member Wants to Dive in Tillamook Area in Sept or sooner!

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome to the board!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Re: New Member Wants to Dive in Tillamook Area in Sept or sooner! What is closest diving Charter and boat on OR Coast to

Post by FlyinV »

Someday the dive shop down in Newport/Depo Bay might have a charter boat but I doubt they will be doing weekday trips.
Just not enough divers -- can't even get a dedicated weekend boat in the area :(

I think you would need to look into doing some shore dives -- Netarts Bay, Barview Jetty or the Newport Fingers.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
selkie
Submariner

Re: New Member Wants to Dive in Tillamook Area in Sept or sooner! What is closest diving Charter and boat on OR Coast to

Post by selkie »

Hmmm, closest dive charter boat to the Oregon coast? Bandito in Tacoma? Seriously there are no regular dive charter boats on the Oregon coast. A few fishing charter boats will sometimes take divers. However, divers need to show up with their own dive masters that has insurance. The ladders for getting back on the boats can be far from ideal. The main thing is the fishing charter boats make more money from fishing charters than dive charters.

Like Jeff said shore diving the Oregon Coast is going to be your best solution. For Newport and Florence I would talk to the people at Eugene Skin Divers. On the North Oregon Coast I would Talk to Floyd at Astoria Scuba. There is also South Beach Scuba in Depot Bay but they have changed hands and I do not know who is running the place. Historical there was a lot more shore diving done on the Oregon Coast than there is today. Many of the dive sites and the knowledge to dive them are being forgotten. Some other things about diving the Oregon Coast, if diving bays be very aware of the tides (you do not want to be swept in to the ocean, Yes it has happened). When diving the Oregon coast you will not know if it is safe dive conditions (regardless of weather predictions) until you are looking at it.

Sorry to be a gloomy guss.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/