New Diver

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

New Diver

Post by Snidely »

Hello all,

I am obviously new to the forum.

I have done three discover dives for a total of four dives and have loved it every time. After each time I wanted to get my certification so I could dive more. Circumstance have never been right for me to be able to get certified BUT things have aligned and I am now getting my certification at the end of this month! First class is the 27th!

Hope to see you all out in the water sometime!

Thanks,

AS
2 in / 2 out, everyone goes home
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: New Diver

Post by Norris »

Welcome to the club. You will find no shortage of dive options here once you get settled in. Feel free to ask questions.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Welcome! And ask to borrow gear before you buy. Trust me, it'll save you a lot of hassle and expense down the road.
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

welcome to the club. Be good if you can make it to the club dive next month and meet some of the fine folks that hang out here.
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Snidely »

Thanks everyone!

Bradmond: Not sure if I will have gear by then or not. But would love to come out!
Spatman: Do you or anyone for that matter have recomendations on gear?

The shop I am going through is offering a package deal on gear.
What does everyone think on this set up?
Cressi
2015 Aquaride Pro BCD
AC2/Compact regulator (I would upgrade it to a balanced regulator)
Leonardo 3 computer with compass attached
Also comes with a 7mm wet suit.
If I remember right total price (with upgraded reg.) would be about $1400
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I'd skip the BCD and wetsuit if you plan to really continue diving(backplate and wing/drysuit). Probably look used market for a diving computer, and wrist mounted compass(Suunto SK7, or dive gear express clone)
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

The BCD will likely help to control your buoyancy, the computer will keep track of bottom time and no deco, compass will show you direction. So really all the gear you are mentioning will certainly aid in your diving.
I would have to agree with Pack in terms of, at the very least, consider a dry suit if you see yourself wanting to dive here a lot, which if you are anything like me, YOU WILL.

As for gear, Spatman mentions to get with some people and try some different items out to make sure you are getting what you are going to want long term. MANY of us have bought our kits, only to find out that we should have asked around and tried different things before laying down the coin. Then one has the idea "well I will sell what I have, (shoot its brand new), and then turn that money into what I want now."
Well the bad news about that is SCUBA gear has a substantial depreciation once out of the store.

You need only buy hood, mask, gloves, fins, snorkel, and boots to take your class so I would do that, get certified, then cast your line on here for dives, asking if you could borrow some gear. This group is well known for showing new divers around, allowing them to try different configurations, and answering questions.

Don't buy gear because you are getting a good deal on a package, buy each item for a reason. You will find the longer you dive, if someone asks about something of yours and why you have it that way, you will have a specific answer.

Mind you this is just my opinion, I can relate to that feeling of just wanting to HAVE MY STUFF and be done with it too, so really this is just something to consider.

I have been on here since I became OW certified so sometimes its fun to read my progression and see where people told me the same thing.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Snidely »

Thanks everyone again.

Yeah right now I'm in the itch of I want my own gear and just want to start diving! It's been over a year since my last dive.

My plan on the wet suit was to stick with a wet suit for the first year (or till i get some more money saved up) then switch to dry.

My concern with ask others if i can use equipment is 1. I feel bad 2. Do a lot of people have two sets of gear?

Thanks
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Many divers are happy to let you borrow gear if given enough advanced notice. Exposure protection would be the only difficult thing to scrounge up, but I will reiterate the opinion that you'll probably want to get a dry suit if you continue to dive in the area, so I wouldn't buy anything in that department until you've been at it for a while and have a chance to see what's around. It will likely be your most expensive purchase, so choose wisely.

Don't feel bad about asking, many divers would rather help you try out gear than watch you go through the growing pains they went through in the beginning. And many divers do have multiple items, or know that they may be out of the water for a while, or know they can't make a group dive, or some such.

Welcome to the board!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Many divers offer to bring extra gear to the club dives for others to try out. Also, we have many folks here that are happy to just help out too, so if there's something you're interested in, just ask.

I'll also echo what Norris said, try not to just buy packages of gear. Research each piece and try to figure out which is best for you.
xBabyJesus
Avid Diver

Post by xBabyJesus »

I agree with the advice above. Don't waste money on a wetsuit if you plan to dive around here -- look for a good used drysuit if money is tight. You can find good stuff around $500 if you're patient.

Also, rent until you can afford to buy the right stuff, and rent/borrow until you know what the right stuff is. I bought a few things twice, but mostly did well on the first try. I also heavily influenced my dive buddies / classmates to do the same thing, and we're all happy for it. Other than mask and regulators, we have bought nearly everything else used.

I dive:

Atomic Frameless mask (Also like Atomic Subframe, but just find something that fits your face. Whether its $30 or $150)
White's (Aqualung) Fusion Tech dry suit. Love the fit. Also like the Apollo neoprene suits for the money.
Halcyon Backplate + Wing (or Apeks, or Oxycheq, I have a few now). Dive Right In Scuba, Dive Gear Express have options around $300, otherwise Deep Sea Supply has a GREAT BP/W for around $400.
HOG D1 regulators. Hard to beat the price/performance.
DIN steel tanks. Rent tanks until you can afford steel HP100s (or otherwise know what you're doing)
DUI weight & trim classic "weight harness." Great because we need a lot of weight with dry suits, this gets it off your BCD or your waist.
DUI rock boots. Used on Ebay. Otherwise Converse Chuck Taylors in black are basically the same :D
Brinyte lights, available cheap on amazon. Best bang for the buck until you need a canister.
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

Snidely wrote:Thanks everyone!

Bradmond: Not sure if I will have gear by then or not. But would love to come out!
Spatman: Do you or anyone for that matter have recomendations on gear?

The shop I am going through is offering a package deal on gear.
What does everyone think on this set up?
Cressi
2015 Aquaride Pro BCD
AC2/Compact regulator (I would upgrade it to a balanced regulator)
Leonardo 3 computer with compass attached
Also comes with a 7mm wet suit.
If I remember right total price (with upgraded reg.) would be about $1400
I did what you're taking about when I started. I still use the Cressi computer but have taken it out of the console to mount on my wrist. Now my console has the SPG and compass on a retractor, I like that set-up much better. This is one of the things you don't know until you get some experience. I have the Back Jac Elite BCD and it's working fine for me. I would go with back plate/wing if to do over again but the Cressi BCD is just fine for now. I have the MC9/Compact regs and haven't had any issues with them. I haven't dove a wetsuit around here so I have no idea what it would be like and don't plan on finding out. Maybe I will if my drysuit floods bad one day I'll get an idea. You should consider coming to the club dive even if you don't dive. You can meet, learn, and maybe cook.
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Snidely »

bradmond wrote: You should consider coming to the club dive even if you don't dive. You can meet, learn, and maybe cook.
How did you know I used to be a chef before my new career :burntchef: