snorkeling

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
jjoolzz
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

snorkeling

Post by jjoolzz »

Hi all,

I've never been snorkeling in Puget Sound, I'm wondering if anyone wants to go with me and show me around? I have a wetsuit, I need to buy mask, fins, snorkel. I have scuba diving training from a long time ago, but I don't want to go to the expense of scuba diving.

Thanks!

Julie
GearHead
Submariner

snorkeling

Post by GearHead »

I hate to be one to put a damper on your plans, however, Puget Sound is not a good place for snorkeling in the summer. Visibility is so bad that you won't be able to see anything farther than 5 to 10 ft away.
I just got back from Edmonds Underwater Park, where I've seen snorkelers and freedivers in the past. Viz was about 10 ft, better than last Saturday when it was 5 ft. Unfortunately cold weather is normally required for clear water.

Given today's conditions, a seaweed strainer would also be required for the snorkel.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Re: snorkeling

Post by Scubie Doo »

Lake crescent is a great snorkel/swim site :) not much to see but great viz and scary deep.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

+1 for Lake Crescent at this time of the year. Bovee's Meadow is quite pretty, and should have a nice layer of warm water at the surface on hot days.

And while the vis may be lousy, there sure are some pretty things in the shallows around Port Townsend. I love doing safety stops there; you never know what you'll find in the eel grass.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Welcome!
Keystone Pilings on a sunny day at the right part of the tide cycle is good, esp if you bring a good light and can dive down a bit. You don't need to go deeper than about 5-10 feet for some monster views!

You're welcome to tag along when we go diving there if you want if you're a good swimmer and fairly independent. We'd be diving shallow.. We can point out stuff and you can come down and see them.

Redondo pilings might be worthwile too if things clear up. There are a lot of ochre stars and shiner perch there. The plankton booms and busts so keep an eye out for viz reports on this site!

-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!