Anyone thinking about diving for crab?

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
iaxaxis
Getting To Know Folks

Anyone thinking about diving for crab?

Post by iaxaxis »

Just got my OW, decided before even started one day I will be a DM.
Anyways got an idea planted in my head and no one to go with. So who with about the same basic skill set wants to maybe take a trip to newport and go hand crabbing?
Senior people is it worth it?
Maybe go to the shell fish sanctuary? Oh in case no one knew, there is a shell fish preserve on the west side of the bridge in newport.
This years its $9 for a shell fish license. Will be less boats buzzing near by here in july. Reports show plenty of crab just not a ton of meat. But at 12 crab each that should not be a problem.
Rent some gear and head out. Car pool of course should be around 65 for 2 tanks of air and gear rental. (scuba salem prices). Let me know what people think.

Also what Kinda computer are us new people running?
gasbreather
Just Settling In

Re: Anyone thinking about diving for crab?

Post by gasbreather »

Hi there.
I am assuming you are based near Salem OR? I would recommend seeking local and experienced dive buddies instead of other new divers. The best way to do this is through a dive club.
- Joe R
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Might be good to give these guys a call.
http://www.southbeachscubaonline.com
They probably have the info on diving that area. Would be a good idea to dive with someone who has dove it before, too. Good luck!
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Echo »

If there's no meat in the crab that means they're soft shell and are being harvested illegally
-Erika
iaxaxis
Getting To Know Folks

Post by iaxaxis »

The reason i was thinking people with a little less dives is because without all the experience i wouldn't wanna bring any experienced person "down to my level". That was my big concern.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

iaxaxis wrote:The reason i was thinking people with a little less dives is because without all the experience i wouldn't wanna bring any experienced person "down to my level". That was my big concern.
Please don't think like this.

We were all new once, and we all benefited from experienced divers taking us out and showing us the ropes. Just be honest about your experience and comfort level with whoever you dive with. Doing dives your not ready for in order to not bring an experienced person down to your level is a good way to get yourself or someone else hurt.

Have fun out there.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

What Jake said. Plus crabbing is fun and exciting, so you use air faster, and you're distracted, and then the viz gets mucked up because you dove for that one crab and missed....it makes for a good time for a good, experienced buddy.

Have fun! Fresh crab is the bomb.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

+1 to that. Also, realize that more experienced divers are who you learn from, not from new divers.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Experienced divers also like to eat crab, from what I hear.
iaxaxis
Getting To Know Folks

Post by iaxaxis »

Echo wrote:If there's no meat in the crab that means they're soft shell and are being harvested illegally
Releasing

“soft shell” crab is strongly recommended. Soft shelled crab are newly molted and are essentially a small crab in a big crab’s body. Meat pick out can be very low (as little as half that of a crab in good condition) and the quality of the meat is usually stringy and less palatable.

Just so thats cleared up.
But ok so who wants the spend the $9 for a year worth of crabbing?
One of the DM from class said she wanted to go some time. I had forgot to mention that (very important piece) she wanted to go. But was not for sure she would be able to make it.
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Echo »

nope
-Erika
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Before you think that this board is full of a bunch of MEH's just keep in mind there are MANY experienced divers on this site with quite a bit of good information.
Keep diving and keep planning dives, it's a fantastic pass time and I have met some quality people here.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Yay for crab season and tasty crab! I've caught my limit on three separate outings already. It's a target rich environment along parts of the Mukilteo waterfront. Take a big tank and a stick with you. Those little buggers run pretty fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
iaxaxis
Getting To Know Folks

Post by iaxaxis »

Depending how this hobby and how many people i meet who want to go do things goes, i might end up changing from shooting to diving. Be a change of pace.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Many of us divers are into shooting as well :enforcer:

Gives you something to do when your dive gear is being serviced. :rofl: