Tacoma teenage diver

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
scubamamacita
Avid Diver

Tacoma teenage diver

Post by scubamamacita »

I'm mom to Sebastian, who started scuba diving a year ago when he was 16. He has 21 dives and has his advanced open water. He just received a dry suit, so he will be going through the certification in August.
Sebass is using scuba diving as an alternative therapy for compression and deep touch therapy to cope with Autism, sensory integration disorder, ADHD and anxiety. To converse with him now, you wouldn't know he struggled with any of it. Last year was a different story. He was withdrawn, and not coping well.
Every dive partner he's had this past year says he's a fantastic dive partner. Keeps deep in the pocket.
We belong to the Kitsap Dive Club, via Meetup app. We are looking for some summer dives around Tacoma.
He rarely used social media and relies on me, his mom, Thea to communicate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Tacoma teenage diver

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome to the board....you're a good mama! :) And I'm glad to hear that scuba has had such a wonderful effect on him. It's healing for a lot of what ails you in many ways.

We have weekly dives around the Sound, or if large groups are too much you can post on the Dive Planning forum. Or keep an eye on that forum to see who else has posted.

I am currently beached due to knee surgery but will be happy to buddy up when I'm cleared to dive again.

Welcome!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
scubamamacita
Avid Diver

Post by scubamamacita »

Penopolypants wrote:Welcome to the board....you're a good mama! :) And I'm glad to hear that scuba has had such a wonderful effect on him. It's healing for a lot of what ails you in many ways.

We have weekly dives around the Sound, or if large groups are too much you can post on the Dive Planning forum. Or keep an eye on that forum to see who else has posted.

I am currently beached due to knee surgery but will be happy to buddy up when I'm cleared to dive again.

Welcome!

scubamamacita
Avid Diver

Post by scubamamacita »

Thanks! [TWO HEARTS] He loves it and my husband and I are wholly committed to providing him as many opportunities to dive with a variety of partners, and dive sites around the puget sound.
He's a cool guy and serious about protocol.

McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

For Tacoma area dives, there are a few of us that dive almost every weds eve. On the Tacoma waterfront, sometimes with the Underwater Sports guys, sometimes just us.
Splash usually around 5:30 pm depending on site and currents.

Last weds was Titlow park with some big octos.
Then did ThThTh dive at Day Island Wall with the guys on this forum.
scubamamacita
Avid Diver

Post by scubamamacita »

McGlencoe wrote:For Tacoma area dives, there are a few of us that dive almost every weds eve. On the Tacoma waterfront, sometimes with the Underwater Sports guys, sometimes just us.
Splash usually around 5:30 pm depending on site and currents.

Last weds was Titlow park with some big octos.
Then did ThThTh dive at Day Island Wall with the guys on this forum.

scubamamacita
Avid Diver

Post by scubamamacita »

He would be totally down for that. Where are you diving this Wednesday? We will be there.

McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

The guys at UWS Tacoma are diving Les Davis at 5:30.

I'll probably do that dive and then another just down the street at Old Town for a quick bottle hunt.
scubamamacita
Avid Diver

Post by scubamamacita »

McGlencoe wrote:The guys at UWS Tacoma are diving Les Davis at 5:30.

I'll probably do that dive and then another just down the street at Old Town for a quick bottle hunt.

scubamamacita
Avid Diver

Post by scubamamacita »

Sounds good. See you there