noob diver

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
kalailyliani
Just Settling In

noob diver

Post by kalailyliani »

Hello - I'm a new open water certified diver that can use some major practice on descents and buoyancy. I also want to just feel more comfortable and in control with my dive and dive gear so I am able to enjoy the amazing underwater world!

I currently have the 4 required dives for open water certification and am looking to add more dives to my log book.

I was certified in 0 vis conditions and have to say it wasn't the ideal conditions for me. Not being able to see the bottom and my surroundings made me anxious.

I need some guidance and would prefer to find an experienced buddy that has the patience to go slow. I am doing the clear lake dive with the people at the dive ship I was certified through in a few weeks. I'm looking to do at least one or two dive trips a month, as long as finances allow.

Looking forward to meeting some of you!

Carrie
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: noob diver

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome to the board, and to the addiction! Where abouts are you located?
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You must be in the Portland or SW WA area?
Happy to go bounce around sometime on a beginner site :)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kalailyliani
Just Settling In

Post by kalailyliani »

I am in portland! was certified in hoodsport through adventure sports scuba. would like to go there again just to get over the 0 vis thing. I was told that was the worst they've seen it. A friend also mentioned Sund Rock would be fun. I'm looking forward to clear lake :)
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Welcome to the club!

0 viz conditions is not ideal for anyone. Hope you get out again soon. Sund is usually pretty good below 30. You're going to love it! Keep your eye on the viz reports thread (or ask) if you want a bit more confirmation that things have cleared.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I'm in port orchard and I have a small boat. There are a couple of beginner-ish sites I'm happy to take you to. Maury barges is very low current and <50ft deep. The wreck of the anna foss is even milder, <35ft deep no current. Also the barges off tolmie state park, but I usually hit those on a bad weather day in winter as they are protected from south winds.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kalailyliani
Just Settling In

Post by kalailyliani »

CaptnJack, that sounds cool - let me know when you're planning on heading out to those areas and I'll try to make it up there. I'll just need a bit of notice to rent gear and put it on the calendar <3
CaptnJack wrote:I'm in port orchard and I have a small boat. There are a couple of beginner-ish sites I'm happy to take you to. Maury barges is very low current and <50ft deep. The wreck of the anna foss is even milder, <35ft deep no current. Also the barges off tolmie state park, but I usually hit those on a bad weather day in winter as they are protected from south winds.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I have steel hp100s and AL80s that you can borrow Carrie
I'll be a few weeks, I just got back from a diving road trip
kalailyliani
Just Settling In

Post by kalailyliani »

that sounds cool - thanks! just msg me whenever :D I appreciate it!!