Anyone diving 9/5, 9/6, or 9/7?

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
skibuns05
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Anyone diving 9/5, 9/6, or 9/7?

Post by skibuns05 »

Hi! I am a Washingtonian (DC) doing a Seattle, Rainier, Olympic National Park loop this Friday 9/2- Wednesday 9/7. I'm an AOW vacation diver w/30 dives and I'd love to add one (or two) of the best PNW dives to my log.

Can anyone recommend a shop and guide or a DM type dive buddy? N.B. I've never done a cold-water dive so I'd feel more comfortable with a guide. I also need to rent all gear. Happy to go in a group, buy lunch/dinner/gas, etc. I know diving is expensive but I'm not looking for a $350 dive sesh. I'll be traveling Rt 101 so need a dive shop/site near 101 on the Olympic Penninsula. (Hood Canal, Port Townsend, Salt Creek, Sekiu...)

Recommendations for dive sites? I like aquatic life and calm waters. (I threw up snorkeling in the Florida Keys last month. First time but not a pleasant experience that I want to repeat.)

Thanks!
Stephanie
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Anyone diving 9/5, 9/6, or 9/7?

Post by YellowEye »

Howdy! If you need calm seas, you should probably cross off Seiku and Salt Creek from your list, as they can be surgey.

PT or Keystone may be doable those days in the late afternoon and would offer lots of color. But those sites are prone to some current even at slack.

Sund Rock may be your best bet. The site is a great intro to northwest diving. It has no current and may also offer better visibility down below, which may also help against nausea. But the site has experienced some stress lately due to low oxygen in that area. If things survived, you can hope to find some wolfeels and lots of rockfish.

Hoodsport and dive is a nearby shop to that area.

Enjoy your trip!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Re: Anyone diving 9/5, 9/6, or 9/7?

Post by Scubak »

I second what Yellow Eye says...
Hoodsport and dive is your shop in that area for Sund Rock.
Probably some of the best sites in the area.
Hoodsportndive.com
360-877-6818
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"