Looking for Buddies for Weekend Dives

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
UWDiver
Just Settling In

Looking for Buddies for Weekend Dives

Post by UWDiver »

Hi everyone,

I've been out of the water for a few months and looking to get back in. Don't have any diving buddies in the area so looking to make some new diver friends! I'm Advanced Open Water and dry suit certified. I have about 25 dives in my log book and am hoping to fill it up. About half of my dives have been in cold water. I live around Bellevue so looking to do most of the diving close to Seattle.

Weekend mornings are best for me, but open to moving into more night dives as our days are pretty short this time of year. Please message me if you are interested in pairing up or know of any groups heading out that I can tag along with.

Hope to see you in the water!

Thanks,
Isaac
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Looking for Buddies for Weekend Dives

Post by Grateful Diver »

One suggestion would be to join one of our local dive clubs. Moss Bay is on the east side, and would probably be the most convenient for you. Marker Buoys is centered in Seattle, although their members come from all over the greater Pugetropolis area ... and they're by far the most active. Club dives will often accommodate newer divers, providing them an opportunity to get in dives with a regular group and gain experience that way. Some, like Emerald Sea (based in Everett) even have formal programs designed to help newer divers pair up with more experienced divers.

I am currently a member of both Emerald Sea and Marker Buoys, and encourage you to look into joining one of those dive clubs. It's not very expensive, and gives you a regular base of scheduled dive activities to choose from.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
gasbreather
Just Settling In

Post by gasbreather »

Hi Issac,
Do you own your gear or will you be renting? Were you certified in the PNW?
- Joe R
UWDiver
Just Settling In

Post by UWDiver »

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll be sure to check out one of the clubs you mentioned. I wasn't sure how the clubs operated, but from your description that looks like exactly what I need. Appreciate the help!

-Isaac
UWDiver
Just Settling In

Post by UWDiver »

gasbreather wrote:Hi Issac,
Do you own your gear or will you be renting? Were you certified in the PNW?
I own everything except for tanks, weights and exposure. Would have to rent those (so need a bit of lead time before hopping into the water). Figured I would see how regularly I can realistically dive here before dropping a couple thousand on a drysuit, undergarments, etc.

I did open water down in Monterey Bay and did the AOW certification with Bellevue Divers (dove Cove 2).

-Isaac
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

UWDiver wrote:Thank you for the suggestions. I'll be sure to check out one of the clubs you mentioned. I wasn't sure how the clubs operated, but from your description that looks like exactly what I need. Appreciate the help!

-Isaac
Marker Buoys is having our monthly club meeting this Wednesday evening (Nov. 2) at the Sunset Hill Community Center in Ballard ... 3003 NW 66th Street, Seattle, WA 98117

Feel free to come check us out. The speaker this month is Michael Werner, who produced the TV show on sixgill sharks that was recently aired on KCTS. The meeting starts at 7 ... it's a great way to introduce yourself to a local community of active divers.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
UWDiver
Just Settling In

Post by UWDiver »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the invite. I will try to swing by and meet the group. Appreciate the warm welcome.

See you tomorrow!

-Isaac
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Also if you are interested check the dive planning section here on NWDC not only are there weekly dives but also people that dive on weekends
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**