entry level gear

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
davidckennedy
Getting To Know Folks

entry level gear

Post by davidckennedy »

Hi all,

I am just finishing up my certification and was looking to get a decent entry-level gear package that would last me a good few years. I was recommended to get this package by the dive shop I am getting my certification from. What do you guys think? https://www.underwatersports.com/produc ... rettyPhoto
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: entry level gear

Post by Linedog »

UWS is a great resource, we are lucky to have them in the PNW. That said please don't be in a rush to purchase a package of any kind. I have completely exchanged all my gear since I started diving, except for my neon yellow split fins. I would recommend a Backplate and Wing, a submersible pressure gauge and a wrist computer instead of the Oceanic console. I'm sure others will chime in soon.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Honestly, that Ranger BCD is a very good one. While I agree with Linedog, that you will probably end up with a BPW setup, I think that package looks good. The learning curve is big in this sport, and the gear options go on and on. I would go for that package, knowing that down the road if you decide you want to further pursue this sport, you will make changes and additions to your gear. Besides, the value of a good LDS cannot be overstated.
Id buy it if I were you. Just my 2 psi.
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

Not sure what is actually included. Description says Scuba Pro but below it says Zeagle and Oceanic. Either way, you will get a few years of use from that package.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

trying borrowing and/or renting first. Especially BP/Ws vs a BC like that. And light(s). And steel tanks.

As a general rule packages usually have one or two optimal items paired with other things that are less desirable. You probably will save money short term, but as mentioned end up replacing things sooner than if you'd cherry picked from the start.

Personally I think air integrated consoles are a colossal waste of money which also encourage poor buoyancy habits in a new diver. So that would be my first complaint about this package. The Zeagle is ok, oversized wing with a lot of dangling stuff on it but nevertheless its at least functional.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

The first thing you want is a drysuit....period. More dive gear packages have been wasted on divers that spend all their money on 'packages', and dive in a wetsuit. Almost no one makes it long term around here without a drysuit.
The last thing you 'need' is a computer.
Aluminum tanks will likely to turn out to be a waste of money.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

I'm with fmerkel on the drysuit and aluminum tanks. If you can't stay warm you won't dive. AL80's are for warm water divers. I did my certification dives 30 years ago using a back inflate BCD. Didn't like it then and still use standard BCD's. Still like my gauges all in one console. Rent, borrow and try some stuff and then try to find what you like used. There is an astounding amount of used scuba gear available at dimes on the dollar. You will find it here on NW Dive Club.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Welcome to the sport!

If there are 1-2 items you wanna swap out, or you want to cherry pick, I`m sure they`d still get you a good starter deal.

+1 on a good drysuit. Ask around for a borrow or look used for a bc, til you know if you may want a bp+w. Computers arent a huge priority for newer divers, i recomend you hit edmonds for your first 20 dives to get used to bouyancy and critter id. The 117 cu ft steel tanks they sell at uws are super nice for long dives in a drysuit.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ScubaSam17
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by ScubaSam17 »

I would also look into a drysuit right off the bat. I have a custom made Harvey's and it is one of the best investments I have made. Having a proper fitting drysuit makes diving in cold water so ooooooh much better!!! The more comfortable you are in the water, the more diving you will do.
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

OP -- If you haven't yet purchased gear, here are my thoughts on the issue (and worth every penny you are paying for them):

a Regulator -- For one's first reg set, I suggest either Scuba Pro or Aqua Lung -- not the high end, not the low end, but the middle (I love the A.L. Titan regs for rec. diving). They are NOT the cheapest but they are well made and have world wide distribution and IF you are one of those who go on dive trips, they are recognized (and serviced) all around the world.

b. Dive computer -- The Zoop is a good one -- not the best but a good one -- make sure you get it wrist mount.

c. BCD -- I think the best ones are BP/W systems -- they work well, they travel well, they last a LONG time -- I prefer the DSS system but the HOG (or similar) is fine (and less expensive) -- and they tend to be among the least expensive BCDs available

d. Dry Suit -- yup -- if you are going to dive in Puget Sound, get a dry suit. I'm a big fan of the Fusion series, particularly as a first suit -- but rent (or borrow) before you buy.

The most important thing is have a reason (other than the shop said it is a good bargain) for buying each item. Ask for advice and I'm pretty sure you'll get some great responses. Feel free to ask WHY a particular model, brand, etc. is being suggested.

That's my two cents.
SquareFish
Just Settling In

Post by SquareFish »

I'll add my agreement that a drysuit here in the PNW is how you'll get the most out of whatever other equipment you'll buy since you'll probably dive more than using a wetsuit. I just bought mine and I'm really glad I did. I've been diving most weeks since I bought it. Mine is a Mobby's Neo Dry (high-density neoprene with neoprene seals). It's Mobby's basic, entry-level drysuit. Comes in 15 stock sizes and they will swap boot sizes for free when you buy one. Got mine from Seattle Scuba for $1200+tax. Their custom sized suits are also pretty reasonable if you need custom sizing. Been very happy with it so far.
:pirate: Don't eat square fish! Arr.
davidckennedy
Getting To Know Folks

Post by davidckennedy »

thanks everyone! I ended up getting an apollo dry suit along with a package they had! I am very happy with it for now!