New to the forums

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
tykeal
Avid Diver

New to the forums

Post by tykeal »

Greetings folks,

Just signed up to the forums yesterday. Looking forward to getting to know y'all and get out in the water with folks!

I've currently only got 21 OW dives since I got my initial cert in October 2015 but I really hope I can increase that by a lot soon. I've been mostly hampered by not having anyone available to dive with, even though I know several divers our schedules just haven't been clicking.
JJHACK
Aquaphile

Re: New to the forums

Post by JJHACK »

I will have to be in Redondo early May. My wife is completing her open water certification dives then. I'll need a dive buddy for the couple days I'm there. Coming From a warm shallow water dive background and using 7mm full wetsuit with another 7mm overlay shorts/vest hood my buoyancy is much more difficult to get correct then what I'm used to. I need a dive to adjust my weight and BC for this going forward.

After that I would like to explore a bit more and just have some dive time there while she is busy with her class schedule. Maybe that timeline works out for you?
The best things in life are not things
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

you should consider joining the Marker Buoys. They have dives most every weekend.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Welcome to NWDC! What times/locations work good for you for dives?
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
tykeal
Avid Diver

Post by tykeal »

@JJHACK I haven't dived Redondo yet (I was too wiped the day the rest of my Advanced class did it), but I would love to do the dive :) As long early May isn't May 6, I've got a board meeting to attend that afternoon at PLU that day and the week leading up to that Saturday I'll be in New Jersey for a work conference. I'm having to refigure my weights now as well, I just got a dry suit and have only been in the pool with it so I'm not certain what my weighting is going to be.

@ JeffPack sounds fun :)

@YellowEye generally Saturdays but if I've got enough lead I can generally get the time off to get out most any mid-week as well. As for where, I'm located in Tacoma but am willing to drive if it's worth it. If we're talking much further north on east sound I can always crash at my parents place near Mount Vernon if needed :D

I've dived the following locations:

Les Davis (several times)
Rockaway Beach
Point Hudson (a few times)
Saltwater State Park
Mukilteo T-Dock
Point Whitney (a couple of times)
Alki Seacrest Cove 1 & 2
Titlow
Edmond's Underwater Park (Bracket's Landing)

Of them my favorites have been Edmond's, Titlow and Point Hudson. Though the last time I dived Point Hudson was before they started any work there. I don't know if the site is still good!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

If you like Edmonds, Titlow, and Point Hudson, you'd likely enjoy Keystone. It has elements of each of those dives... ling cods, gobs of color, and pilings... The site is pretty current and wind sensitive but it is worth the trip. This sat looks like it could be a day for it, if the wind cooperates and you can find a buddy (several of the keystone regulars on this site are away to Canada this weekend). According to my notes, May 20, June 3, June 17 may be other dates for Keystone (I can't personally make all those but likely somebody could). Keystone is less divable the second half of the year.

A bunch of us dive nearly every Thursday night, usually 6:30pm meet at Redondo. Look for the ththth planning thread.

Hope to see you out there!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
tykeal
Avid Diver

Post by tykeal »

@YellowEye thanks! I wouldn't be able to do this Saturday as I've been asked by my shop manager to be an extra set of eyes during the initial OW session at Les Davis (unless he switches location). His way of making sure I get some OW on my new drysuit ;)

I can definitely do most Thursday evenings and I'll go hunt the thread down!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Hey tykeal, looking forward to meeting you on a Thursday night dive!
tykeal
Avid Diver

Post by tykeal »

Thanks Gdog! I look forward to meeting folks as well!