New to the area from Florida! I need a new wetsuit, haha

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Floridadiver08
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

New to the area from Florida! I need a new wetsuit, haha

Post by Floridadiver08 »

Hi, I just moved to the Port Townsend area to work with their Marine Science Center for the summer. I know you have world class diving out here and I'm looking forward to at least a few dives this summer. I'm already working with Octopus Gardens dive shop to get my rentals and info about local sites, but I would appreciate any recommendations for dive sites, and especially any tips for how to get a wetsuit on a budget. Best fishes to you all :D
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: New to the area from Florida! I need a new wetsuit, haha

Post by theonly_JT »

Welcome to the cold murky waters of the Salish Sea!!! Keep your eyes in the dive planning section and I'm sure you will find dive buddies. In fact we have a club dive coming up in July that we would love to see you at!! I'm sure you'll fall in love with diving here, I know all of us here on NWDC have. If you have any questions feel free to ask, you'll find a plethora of local knowledge and insider tips. :supz:

-JT
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

What size wetsuit?

You can get them used very cheap. I think I spent a whopping $75 for my first suit.

I'm up in the PT area also, so always looking to dive.
JJHACK
Aquaphile

Post by JJHACK »

I'm also a wetsuit diver. I have not made the leap to dry yet.

My very strong suggestion is a full 7mm wetsuit with an added 7mm step in hooded vest. I dive this combination as does my wife frequently and we have no trouble staying warm.

7mm is a bit restrictive if it's not a great fit. I think you would be way ahead to shop the discount on line places that have them closing out specific items.

I've seen the hooded step in vests listed for 250 on sale for 99.00. Also full 7 mm panicle or Bare wetsuits msrp 400 bucks for 150.00

Another item you will need is a really good light

Have fun it's been much different for me than the tropical background I had before diving here.
The best things in life are not things
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

When you get equipped, give me a shout! I'm in PT for the next 1.5 months.